Replacing Sos

Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a new 2010 RX 350 (month old) and wonder if anyone has any idea on what it would take to replace the useless SOS transmitter in the ceiling with an eye- glass holder? Burns me that I had to pay for a useless option that I never wanted.

Also my mileage in the city is a disappointing 16 mpg and that's while driving in the ECO range 95% of the time. Any thing I can do to boost it?

Signed,

Not exactly elated with this new Lexus in OC.

• 1 month later...

The SOS feature can be useful at times, however the glasses holder was very convenient and I used it all the time. I think they had to do something to provide a safety communication service to compete with On-star and the like. I had my dealer do the nitrogen fill in my tires, helps maintain a more consistent pressure with temperature changes and it slows the natural pressure loss over time. Keeping the tire pressure correct and vehicle weight (cargo unloaded)down is about all you can do to improve mileage. Oh, and if at all possible don't use fuel that contains any alchohol/ethanol.

Your mileage should improve a bit once broken in...

The GX has the SOS but also has the sunglass holder too... I use it all of the time. Our X5 doesn't have one and it drives me nuts. I can't imagine it would be easy to try to replace the SOS with one but maybe you could order one from the older model rx330 to see if you could make it work? I would just buy a good sunglass case and put in the center or door and use that. That is what I did in the X5.

It doesn't have a sunglass holder? Really? I never noticed that in the RX's I drove. My ES has the SOS button and a sunglass holder.

Thats going to be an impossible retrofit. I'd suggest LEXI's suggestion...