Dc To Ac Power Inverters

Hi Friends,

Since I have no access to electricity in my garage, I would buy an AC / DC power inverter to plug in my RX400 H cigar lighter and my vacuum cleaner or electric drill to the other end. (I hope I am clear enough, English is not my mother tongue ...) How powerful such a converter from 12 V to 110V or 220 V, can I use without danger please? I saw some converters that go up to 2000 watts but I'm not sure I can use it safely. ??

Thank you.

Hi Friends,

Since I have no access to electricity in my garage, I would buy an AC / DC power inverter to plug in my RX400 H cigar lighter and my vacuum cleaner or electric drill to the other end. (I hope I am clear enough, English is not my mother tongue ...) How powerful such a converter from 12 V to 110V or 220 V, can I use without danger please? I saw some converters that go up to 2000 watts but I'm not sure I can use it safely. ??

Thank you.

Your lighter outlet is only good to 10Amp at 12Volt or 120Watts. At 120Volts AC you only have 1Amp of capability from the car. (Power: watts = volts x amps)

Any decent drill or vacuum will require more power than that... maybe a 1Amp dremmele tool or a dust buster car vac but thats about it.

DC to AC inverters cannot manufacture power only convert it from one form to another... sorry.

BTW, if you do plan to run AC appliances from you car with an inverter, be aware that you will need to leave the car in READY state so the engine can fire when needed (ventilation is key here :chairshot: ). If you run anything off of the car when the ignition is in ACC or ON, then you are only using the tiny 12V battery and that will last about 20 min before its dead.

Hi Friends,

Thank you.

Your lighter outlet is only good to 10Amp at 12Volt or 120Watts. At 120Volts AC you only have 1Amp of capability from the car. (Power: watts = volts x amps)

Any decent drill or vacuum will require more power than that... maybe a 1Amp dremmele tool or a dust buster car vac but thats about it.

DC to AC inverters cannot manufacture power only convert it from one form to another... sorry.

BTW, if you do plan to run AC appliances from you car with an inverter, be aware that you will need to leave the car in READY state so the engine can fire when needed (ventilation is key here :chairshot: ). If you run anything off of the car when the ignition is in ACC or ON, then you are only using the tiny 12V battery and that will last about 20 min before its dead.

Thank you so much. You made this perfectly clear for me.

But tell me... what if instead of using the lighter outlet, I connect the DC Inverter directly to the car battery ? would it be the same problem please ???

Hi Friends,

Thank you.

But tell me... what if instead of using the lighter outlet, I connect the DC Inverter directly to the car battery ? would it be the same problem please ???

The problem would be the same... that will not change the physics of it, just bypasses the 10A fuse.

Hi Friends,

Thank you.

The problem would be the same... that will not change the physics of it, just bypasses the 10A fuse.

Am I stupid... sorry but I was reading some spec details and saw that they mention a 110 volts outlet plug in the back of the car... Could'nt I use that to plug any vacuum cleaner or else ?

As Skyfish mentioned, whatever you plug into the outlet cannot draw any more than 1 amp. Most vacuum cleaners draw more than that. Even a hair dryer at 1000 watts will draw 9 amps of current - way too much for this system.