Lexus Sc400 Common Problems?

Luna Vyohr

So, I'm going to be looking into buying an SC400 soon... The SC400 is one of my all time FAVORITE cars, and I'm just wondering what the most common mechanical problems are with these cars? I'd like to know as much as I can about what I'm buying.

All the 400s in my area are between 1992 and 1995, and they usually have around 110,000, to 140,000 max.

well i cant say that im a lexus expert because im not... but i have a 92 sc400 with over 200,000 on it and it runs great! the only mechanical thing i had to replace was the alternator because i overfilled the power steering and it shorted out... it is a very solid car if well taken care of....

There are several problems to be aware of.

1) Lower control arm bushings, check for play, replace with Daizan bushings from TM Engineering or replace with Supra 94-98. Bolt on.

2) Lower ball joints, see if boots are busted

3) Power steering leaking under tank or main hose, will cause alternator to go out

4) Cracks on the radiator overflow tank

5) Cabin vents crack from temperature change, hot and cold

6) Blacked out LCD on your climate control, can change for aftermarket one on Ebay for 125

7) Needles and back lighting goes out. Contact Lextech.com or Lexls.com for a DIY

8) Door hinge sag

9) Craks on upper door panel where you arm normally rest while driving

10) Window regualtors break, can be fixed easily

Im sure they are more but these are the most common ones. Make sure you do the maintenance, timing belt, plugs, water pump, etc.

There are several problems to be aware of.

1) Lower control arm bushings, check for play, replace with Daizan bushings from TM Engineering or replace with Supra 94-98. Bolt on.

2) Lower ball joints, see if boots are busted

3) Power steering leaking under tank or main hose, will cause alternator to go out

6) Blacked out LCD on your climate control, can change for aftermarket one on Ebay for 125

7) Needles and back lighting goes out. Contact Lextech.com or Lexls.com for a DIY

8) Door hinge sag

10) Window regualtors break, can be fixed easily

Im sure they are more but these are the most common ones. Make sure you do the maintenance, timing belt, plugs, water pump, etc.

Thank you. Could you give me an idea of what this stuff costs to fix?

That's the problem Lexus parts are expensive but the value of the car is too low.

If your timingbelt brakes or your headgasket leaks the labor will cost more then the car is worth so nobody does it.

If nobody does these that means that nobody will sell these parts either.

And that means that our cars will become opsolete.

That's what I'm afraid of.

That I'm gonna end up with a car that has a good engine and everything but completely useless because there's no parts available to fix them because nobody thinks it's worth it to fix this car.

In the older days older cars actually had better value because they become classic but now days that doesn't seem like it's gonna be the same.

That's a shame because these can make for great classics.

But in your case trying going for a 1999 or 2000 one that you'll be sure you're gonna find parts at least 5 years from now

Not right now but I think it's gonna happen.

I can see on this forum that people give up their cars just because a timing belt broke or something small happens because the repair costs as much as the value of a car.

In the modern society people think different in the older days you bought house to grow old in but nowadays if the mortgage they owe is higher then what their house is worth now they just stop paying and let the house go into foreclosure and lose their home on purpuse.

It's the same thing with cars now I work at a car dealership and almost everybody thinks the same way.

In the older days people we're proud of their Cadiilacs and cryslers they wanted to drive them their whole life but now we became a throw away society everybody throws their tvs every 2 years to buy a new one and things lik that.

And of course what car parts store is gonna sell parts that people won't buy.

So soon they will all stop selling.

I can attest to:

Plus heard head lights fog up but mine are fine.

• 1 month later...

In that case, do you guys have trouble actually finding parts?

You could buy them from the junkyard, its hard to find, but sometimes there a sc400 cars there that have been crashed/impound. The people there sell it for like 1/3 the original price the dealers sell for it