Driver Side Window Switch

BigDaddy

I have a 92 LS400 and the driver side window has been giving me fits. It has a mind of its own. Sometimes it will work and others it won't. I took the switch out and opened it up and notice some of the contacts had some black "corrosion" on them. I cleaned it off and put it back in and it worked like a charm for about 3 months. Now its doing the same thing again. I cleaned the contacts again, but now it still sdoesnt work. Any suggeestions/thoughts?

Thanks

uisualy black stuff means that the gap is too big and tiny sparks appear creating that black corrosion. check ebay for new switch:) i saw em there for like 50$ for the whole assembly for all 4 windows. or you can contact a guy who is parting his ls and get the part from him. i know its the ez way out but....

• 4 weeks later...

My switches had the same problems, so I worked on them yesterday. Tore the drivers side controls apart. The response by the moderator was correct-there was black residue on the "points" on the drivers switch. After review, I also found that the gap on the "points" was too far open-just like ignition points we all worked on in the 60s-and 70s. So I cleaned them, and also tweaked their copper arms to make them more responsive. On all the window functions on the drivers controls..

As a result, everything works fine-Previously, the drivers side window would only open if I scrunched it down all the way. I had no way to make it open all the way automatically. Now it performs both functions nicely. Also, the drivers side control would not close the left rear window. Now it works fine.

One thought. And this may be conjecture. I also "stretched" the springs on the upright posts to make the push down knobs more responsive. I think it helped to solve my problems. Any thoughts? Overall, it would seem like the window controls will require continued maintenance, even though I live in the desert. Lots of lubrication, at a minimum.

Oopsey-Doopsey. One week after posting that the switches may need constant attention, my drivers side switch is acting up again. So I again played with it, sanded the points, sprayed with electrical cleaner, and stretched the springs.

Smart guys may be right-I probably need a new switch assembly. Stay tuned-time to find a used parts place, me think....

I have the same problem first if was the contacts then the little black pin that rocks the switch broke ,i just got a new one for a jdm windom ( es 300 in japan) .I will have to switch the internals over as it is a right hand drive vehicle and won;t fit directly.