Maintenance Intervals For 97 Es300

odessit

Got ES300 97, 175K on it. Runs well, driven (mostly) by wife.

Had following service done (latest only is listed):

transmission and differential fluid replaced at 110k

coolant at 141k

spark plugs - replaced with platinum - at 110K

Do you, guys, think any service is needed? My thinking is that transmission/differential would be relevant, coolant - based on its condition, spark plugs - let go till 200K (90K interval) and replace together with the timing belt (done at 110K).

Is transmission/differential fluid change something that can be done by a well qualified mechanic or should I leave this to Toyota dealership?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

There is nothing unique about the 97 ES300. Any competent garage can do the service work on it. You could buy the full factory service manual for a 97, unlike the ES350 today.

Our first Lexus was a 97 ES. We put almost 250 000 miles on that car, I did all of my own service work with the help of the manual, and the car never let us down. It was a honey!

There is nothing unique about the 97 ES300. Any competent garage can do the service work on it. You could buy the full factory service manual for a 97, unlike the ES350 today.

Our first Lexus was a 97 ES. We put almost 250 000 miles on that car, I did all of my own service work with the help of the manual, and the car never let us down. It was a honey!

Do you still have FSM? Would you part with it? I have FSM for my Land Cruiser and have to say - it is very easy to follow - much better than FSM for my Cadillac.

So what would you suggest for routine service based on current mileage?

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

just grab a haynes manual. for the 97-01 model, it's the camry book you need. isbn: 1563924048 (this book includes all the lexus es' through the same years as they share the camry base.)

kijiji / craigslist usually has people selling them used for under 10 bucks. auto stores retail it new for 20 bucks + tax.

worth it's weight in gold as it literally gives you A-Z step by step. and GBHrps is right. 90% of the repairs you can easily do yourself given a garage or some space in your yard and a bit of spare time. the major work like replacing a muffler line or gas tank.. you'll need a lift to safely get under the car and not have it crush you. aside from that, just make sure you are using the correct fluids. it's written in the lexus booklet that came with the car. depending on the year/engine there are slight changes as to DOT, type, viscosity etc... as long as you double check to be sure, it's smooth sailing.