Smart Key

How do you replace the battery in a Smart Key System LS460?

At the bottom is a cover you gently pull on and it will open to the battery compartment

Be sure and note the battery +/_ direction and note the battery goes between 2 brass bars.

Make sure you have a fresh spare on hand, you're in a world of hurt if the battery goes bad. You may have to go to Radio Shack to get this battery, it isn't common in the places you usually see the quarter sized batteries.

A camera shop or a watch store are other sources for hard to find small electronics battery's. Yours should be a lithium battery.

Paul

No go here for the answer.. The smart key fob has a mechanical key on the side that unsnaps with a push lever. This will get you in the car but I don't think you can start it.

Inside the holder for the key there are some weird looking detents. I think the battery goes in there. I'm not about to probe around as I bet this thing cost $150-$200.

There is no external slide on this model that I can see. The case is about 1.5" x 2.5 " x 1/2" thick. On one side their is a big Chrome Lexus symbol. On the other pictures of a lock, open lock, trunk and alarm.

Some times me thinks Lexus has been hiring ex GM employees, recalls and all including reliability. The car is full of weird quirks My wife kinda likes the LS460 but I won't drive it anymore. Twice I've almost gotten in a wreck changing lanes. Road rage, which I understand, can get you shot. Cutting people off is a no no especially in a high end car which makes some people mad to start with. The visibility to the rear is the worst of any car I have ever owned, period. The 400 had great visibility with the 3 box design. Hey Mr. Toyota- FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION not the other way around!!! American engineers/ designers suck.

No go here for the answer.. The smart key fob has a mechanical key on the side that unsnaps with a push lever. This will get you in the car but I don't think you can start it.

Inside the holder for the key there are some weird looking detents. I think the battery goes in there. I'm not about to probe around as I bet this thing cost $150-$200.

There is no external slide on this model that I can see. The case is about 1.5" x 2.5 " x 1/2" thick. On one side their is a big Chrome Lexus symbol. On the other pictures of a lock, open lock, trunk and alarm.

Some times me thinks Lexus has been hiring ex GM employees, recalls and all including reliability. The car is full of weird quirks My wife kinda likes the LS460 but I won't drive it anymore. Twice I've almost gotten in a wreck changing lanes. Road rage, which I understand, can get you shot. Cutting people off is a no no especially in a high end car which makes some people mad to start with. The visibility to the rear is the worst of any car I have ever owned, period. The 400 had great visibility with the 3 box design. Hey Mr. Toyota- FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION not the other way around!!! American engineers/ designers suck.

Let's try this and hope we can get you going. If you have your owners manual, look under "Replacing electronic Key battery". It shows in pictures and words how to go about replacing the battery. If you don't have the manual try this:

You will need a small flat head screwdriver.

The replacement battery will be a lithium battery; maybe a CR1632: Check the old battery to be sure.

1. Take out the mechanical key.

2. Insert the blade of the small flathead screwdriver in the SMALL slot between the two halves of the cover that was before covered by the mechanical key.(Not a very elegant solution I know.)

3. With the covers pried apart, remove the old battery and install new one, being careful to have the + side of the battery facing up.

4. Reverse the steps to reassemble.

Hope this works for you. If you still have problems I bet your Lexus parts department would not charge you a dime other than the battery to change this for you.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Your answer is correct, I think. Haven't done it yet but went back to the 10,000 PAGE 2 ton car manual that came with the car and found the same answer. The index does not list" key battery replace" or "battery -key replacement" As it should. Duh. Took a bit of thumbing around in side the manual and the info for the replacement battery is on p-586. Takes a CR1632, about $2-$3.00.

We have a 2008 LS460. I don't know if this info is good for 2007-20111's.

This should be a Stickey- The key fob is on all the time. You cannot turn it off. Battery life is 1-2 years.P 39. So replace once a year. Do not have key in pocket within 3' of a computer or other items with a magnetic field like a cell phone. ie- key fob and cell phone in purse is a no no.

If your key fob dies and the car is locked use the mechanical key. P656. There is a small slot under the door handle for the key to unlock the car. Then hold the Lexus emblem against the start button. Car should start.

Do not put book in trunk. That is the first item to shut down when battery starts to die. No bookie, no drivie. Keep a spare battery and small screw drivers ( slot and Phillips) in the glove compartment. We always carry a small led, li ion flashlight that won't self discharge.

Why we were not told this by the typical Toyota dealer I have no idea but no harm in this case was done.

Great Site, thanks.

Thanks Paul. Your answer is correct, I think. Haven't done it yet but went back to the 10,000 PAGE 2 ton car manual that came with the car and found the same answer. The index does not list" key battery replace" or "battery -key replacement" As it should. Duh. Took a bit of thumbing around in side the manual and the info for the replacement battery is on p-586. Takes a CR1632, about $2-$3.00.

We have a 2008 LS460. I don't know if this info is good for 2007-20111's.

This should be a Stickey- The key fob is on all the time. You cannot turn it off. Battery life is 1-2 years.P 39. So replace once a year. Do not have key in pocket within 3' of a computer or other items with a magnetic field like a cell phone. ie- key fob and cell phone in purse is a no no.

If your key fob dies and the car is locked use the mechanical key. P656. There is a small slot under the door handle for the key to unlock the car. Then hold the Lexus emblem against the start button. Car should start.

Do not put book in trunk. That is the first item to shut down when battery starts to die. No bookie, no drivie. Keep a spare battery and small screw drivers ( slot and Phillips) in the glove compartment. We always carry a small led, li ion flashlight that won't self discharge.

Why we were not told this by the typical Toyota dealer I have no idea but no harm in this case was done.

Great Site, thanks.

Glad to be of help. I love your "No bookie, no driveie"! Thats great. After your experience with this, will call on you for ALL electronic key questions. (Just Kidding)

Paul