2002 Rx300 Won't Stay Running

rrluyt

The car ran fine this mornig but this afternoon it won't start and stay running (turns over fine) unless the gas pedal is used for the start and then held. Whe started this way it seems to run smoothly (no stuttering or uneven idle like a sticky carb or clogged fuel line).

When I take my foot off the pedal, the car stalls out. The check engine light is NOT on and I had 2 sensors replaced by Lexus within the last year, so most likely they should be OK. The carb has been cleaned and fuel additive used over past several months. The outside temp is a moderate 75 so it's not too hot. Could this be a fuel pump issue? The car acts like it's just not gettig any gas. Anyone have ideas on how to best determinne what might be causing this?

The car ran fine this mornig but this afternoon it won't start and stay running (turns over fine) unless the gas pedal is used for the start and then held. Whe started this way it seems to run smoothly (no stuttering or uneven idle like a sticky carb or clogged fuel line).

When I take my foot off the pedal, the car stalls out. The check engine light is NOT on and I had 2 sensors replaced by Lexus within the last year, so most likely they should be OK. The carb has been cleaned and fuel additive used over past several months. The outside temp is a moderate 75 so it's not too hot. Could this be a fuel pump issue? The car acts like it's just not gettig any gas. Anyone have ideas on how to best determinne what might be causing this?

this is seem to be common problem for rx and es sound like you need idle speed control valve replace. sometime you can get by with cleaning them... but to get this IAC valve out you may have to take it to your local shop. good luck

• 1 year later...