Speaker Problems

lexiiluv

Hello, I own a 1990 LS400. A few months back I had a new head unit professionally installed by a local place. About a month after having it installed all of my speakers quit working except for my tweeters. I took it back to the same place who installed it and they told me it was because my factory amp had died and the only way to fix it is to have all my speakers rewired to run off of my head unit. I did some research and found a forum on here discussing that the speakers already run off the head unit and the factory amp is meant to power the factory sub. I'm not car smart what so ever so sorry if I misread something but, is this true and what is your opinionon on what the local car audio shop had told me?

well your best bet is to run a new four channel amp to power your door speakers, but that is an expensive option just to get them working if you dont want all out loudness. From what I have gathered, the speakers run to the amp and then to the head unit. I don't know if the amp powers them or not but I have the pioneer system and all my door speaker wires ran to my factory amp, because when I put in my four channel amp I ran the speaker wire to the factory amp and used the factory wiring harness to carry the power to the door speakers. It seems a little strange that your tweeters still work, although I dont know where they get power from. It seems likly that if your factory amp dies, then you will lose your connection between the head unit and the speakers, even if the head unit is powering them.