Es 2010 Nav Voice Recognition - Any Tips

pj8708

I know the voice recognition feature has a reputation for being less than perfected. Today, I said to "select channel number" She replied, "say channel number". Good so far. I said "6" She said "246". I tried to back up and I tried "06". She said "Raise temperature". Immediately the temperature went from 70' to 74'. I gave up.

Got any tips on how to speak so she under stands, i.e., tone, inflection, enunciation? Any tricks you've learned?

Thanks,

Paul

Well if the sunroof is open, windows down, or air is blowing to hard forgetaboutit (in my Sopranos voice) :D

I have found that when you are trying to say #'s you are best to say 246 and not 2 - 4 - 6, and not two hundred and forty six. I don't use the voice command that much...unless I want to show off! Then I say 74 degrees and the temp goes to 74.

Paul have you cut the guidance off so it skips the steps of asking you 100 questions? That seems to help a little that way it only gets one or maybe two things wrong and not 10? :D

SW...I am going to use the LexusEnform button tonight to ask them to change my radio station to see what they say! :lol: I haven't had the need to use the Enform service yet but it seems like it is a great feature.

I don't think they can do that LOL, more for inputting and finding destinations. You can say "I need a good italian restaurant within 5 miles of here" and they can use the Zagat guide to find one, etc.

Sometimes it takes forever for them to download a destination.

I still haven't figured out how to set destinations on the computer and find them from within the car...

I still haven't figured out how to set destinations on the computer and find them from within the car...

I signed in online...and I see how to do it but I haven't done it yet. I think if I was planning a trip somewhere it would be nice or if I was in a line of work like yours and I was planning my day out and had several houses I was showing it may be something that I was interested in doing...but entering in the car is easy enough for me...I rarely use the NAV system anyway but if I have to go out of town it is nice.

Here are some quick instructions, which may help you out. If not, sorry.

Here is one way to enter eDestinations, you will develop your own preferred method.

In the menu bar across the top:

Go to >>> My Lexus

Go to >>> eDestination

Go to >>> Manage Folders

Go to >>> Add a New Folder

(create a new folder such as: Restaurants - Chicago)

Click on >>> Send Changes Now

On the right Click On >>> Manage Destinations

Fill in the blanks to locate a destination such as a restaurant in Chicago

Click on >>> Find

It will find one or many of your destinations

Click On>>>the name of the destination you wish to save

Fill in the blanks with the information you wish to show up in your car (destination name or nickname and destination notes)

Click on>>>the button for the folder you wish to place the destination

Click on>>>Save

This will take you back to your folders

Click on >>> SEND CHANGES NOW

The information is now on some server somewhere, not yet in your car.

Get in your car and go to the START MENU

Click On >>> Destination

Click On >>> Point of Interest

Click On >>> eDestination

Click On >>> Download

It will ask "Are you sure you want to download you eDestination entries?"

Click YES

Your car will connect to the server and download your folder(s) and destination(s).

Everything will be in your eDestinations such as: location, phone number and your comments.

Remember your comments maybe anything such as "avoid the Pina Coladas"

Please read all the information as you work your way through the web pages,

there are limits on the number of folders and the number of destinations you can create. Any or all of them

can be deleted at anytime, so don't let mistakes bother you. They are correctable.

Remember to always SAVE or the changes will not go to the server to be available to your car.

Good luck

I know the voice recognition feature has a reputation for being less than perfected. Today, I said to "select channel number" She replied, "say channel number". Good so far. I said "6" She said "246". I tried to back up and I tried "06". She said "Raise temperature". Immediately the temperature went from 70' to 74'. I gave up.

Got any tips on how to speak so she under stands, i.e., tone, inflection, enunciation? Any tricks you've learned?

Thanks,

Paul

I wish I could offer some tips, but I think voice recognition in a Lexus is the worst on the market. My wife's Nissan is way better and I'm sure the Sync in a Ford is way, way better. Thinking I can train it or train myself, I practice while driving on interstate. Nothing improves and I get more frustrated. The only casual speech it understands is "raise the temperature".

If someone really loves or likes Lexus voice recognition, I would like to hear your about your techniques.

Thanks,

I wish I could offer some tips, but I think voice recognition in a Lexus is the worst on the market. My wife's Nissan is way better and I'm sure the Sync in a Ford is way, way better. Thinking I can train it or train myself, I practice while driving on interstate. Nothing improves and I get more frustrated. The only casual speech it understands is "raise the temperature".

If someone really loves or likes Lexus voice recognition, I would like to hear your about your techniques.

Thanks,

Now you do have the English option selected right? Just kidding :)

It is funny my iPhone using google or it's own voice feature can get 99% of what I am saying. It is hard to understand why the Lexus has such a hard time. I think the voice calls are the worst and the feature I would use the most. I say call home. My lex says back to me call Gary??? What. I have gotten to the point i just use speed dials unless I am just like what the h e l l I have 5 mins to kill.

Great advice from both of you. I did learn to hit the talk button twice to skip past the menu tree and the twenty questions. I 'll try the tips and see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

There is an easier way to disable this feature. Push the setup button then voice-voice recognition system-off-save.

Great advice from both of you. I did learn to hit the talk button twice to skip past the menu tree and the twenty questions. I 'll try the tips and see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

There is an easier way to disable this feature. Push the setup button then voice-voice recognition system-off-save.

KC that is exactly what I was talking about. It helps.

• 4 weeks later...