Metal Scraping Sound

• 4 weeks later...

have you pulled the front wheels off to see if a heat shield or brake shield is bent. Maybe a cable has been moved and rubs the inside of the rim when you cut the wheel right. Do you have to cut the wheel tight to hear it, or do you hear it even on a long gradual right turn with not much rotation of the steering wheel?

steviej

have you pulled the front wheels off to see if a heat shield or brake shield is bent. Maybe a cable has been moved and rubs the inside of the rim when you cut the wheel right. Do you have to cut the wheel tight to hear it, or do you hear it even on a long gradual right turn with not much rotation of the steering wheel?

steviej

yeah i can hear it, but just barely, when i turn slightly right. but it's when i turn the wheel almost to all the way right is when the noise is very loud. i took the wheel off to see if there's any scrape marks on the brake shield but it's difficult to see with the rotor still attached. if my car is recalled for the brake cylinder i'll see if the mechanic can take a look at it while it's there.

I had the exact same problem. Took the car in and there was a rock stuck between my rotor and brake pad. They fixed it up and didn't charge me a dime.

--Duckman

did they explain how it was fixed? if i can fix it without bringing it to the dealership that would be ideal.

did they explain how it was fixed? if i can fix it without bringing it to the dealership that would be ideal.

Sorry - they did not explain it in detail. It literally took 20 minutes and they didn't charge me anything. I can only assume they took the wheel off, the brake pad off and found the rock. I asked him how common this was and he said that it happens more than you think. Never had this happened before to me. I also asked him if there would be any damage to the rotor and he said no. That the rock would become more polished the longer I went, but the rotor had no damage.

I apologize I can't offer any more than that.

--Duckman