Oil Changing

I changed oil the 1st. time on my used 2007 RX350, last week.

After reviewing everything on the net, I bought the 5w-30 Castro oil and the Fram Ch9972 filter. I also bought the 67/65mm oil filter wrench from Kragen,for $4.99 with the agreement that I could return it before cutting it down to the 65mm section.

I removed the two 10mm screws, saw the bottom of the filter cartridge housing, checked how the wrench would fit?

I then got a 3" 3/8" drive extension, and my old Craftsman ratchet wrench, and tried to removed the plug, and after a little effort, on the 6" wrench I felt something moving, I slid over and found the entire housing was now loosening.

So, I got the drain pan underneath and turned it all the way off, and dumped the cartridge and the oil. This was less messy than any "screw on filter" that I have changed in the last 30 years.

So the moral of this long story is "don't sweat the small stuff", If your vehicle has been serviced by the Lexus folks,they probably just hit it with a small impact wrench and the drain plug will not come out.

So, forget about it!

Change the "o ring", drop the new cartridge into the housing, and tighten it in place, by hand just like the old style, a quick final twist with the wrench and extension and your DONE!

I am returning the unused wrench for a refund.

Thanks for all the good info, but I guess I didn't really need much of it!

Note: (I have been doing this stuff for over 50 years, no sweat!)

I changed oil the 1st. time on my used 2007 RX350, last week.

After reviewing everything on the net, I bought the 5w-30 Castro oil and the Fram Ch9972 filter. I also bought the 67/65mm oil filter wrench from Kragen,for $4.99 with the agreement that I could return it before cutting it down to the 65mm section.

I removed the two 10mm screws, saw the bottom of the filter cartridge housing, checked how the wrench would fit?

I then got a 3" 3/8" drive extension, and my old Craftsman ratchet wrench, and tried to removed the plug, and after a little effort, on the 6" wrench I felt something moving, I slid over and found the entire housing was now loosening.

So, I got the drain pan underneath and turned it all the way off, and dumped the cartridge and the oil. This was less messy than any "screw on filter" that I have changed in the last 30 years.

So the moral of this long story is "don't sweat the small stuff", If your vehicle has been serviced by the Lexus folks,they probably just hit it with a small impact wrench and the drain plug will not come out.

So, forget about it!

Change the "o ring", drop the new cartridge into the housing, and tighten it in place, by hand just like the old style, a quick final twist with the wrench and extension and your DONE!

I am returning the unused wrench for a refund.

Thanks for all the good info, but I guess I didn't really need much of it!

Note: (I have been doing this stuff for over 50 years, no sweat!)

Definitely not something I'd consider paying Lexus (or anyone else to do). I've done every oil/filter change on my wife's 09 beyond the complementary first change. I understand that some folks don't want to bother with it and don't mind paying someone else to do it...I'm just CHEAP! :lol: