97 Ls400 Radio Vs. 98

Rice

Does anyone know if 98 LS400 OEM radio will fit in a 97?

I just bought a brand new 98 radio on eBay. I'm wondering if it will fit my 97.

Yeah, I know that I should've asked this question before I bought it, but I got a really good deal $100.00! and there wasn't much time to do any research. I figured that even if it doesn't fit, I can always sell and probably make a couple of bucks. Dealer sells the same radio for a whoping $1,500+!!!

Anyway, if someone has any info on this, please let me know.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I also posted the same question in another forum and the consensus seems to be that it will not fit.

SW03ES, I shure hope you're right!

Anyway, I will reseive the radio in a week or so and post the update.

Here's the 98 radio:

LSradio2.jpg

And the 97 Radio:

LSradio4.jpg

As you can see its the exact same unit. These are the Pioneer units but the Nakamichi units are identical also. Also as you can see the only changes to that stack between 98 and 97 were to the climate controls and the vents. The radio should fit fine.

Do you guys think that the on the ASL(next to the tape deck) in the '98 will work in the '97? Also, I think the two different shades of color would drive me crazy :wacko: . The '98 looks grey while the '97 is more of a pure black, or is it just a poor picture?

:cheers:

Do you guys think that the on the ASL(next to the tape deck) in the '98 will work in the '97? Also, I think the two different shades of color would drive me crazy :wacko: . The '98 looks grey while the '97 is more of a pure black, or is it just a poor picture?

Not only that, but the 98's got the OUTSIDE TEMP / CLOCK lcd's that are integrated with the top of the panel. How's that gonna fit? ;)

Roy, he's just replacing his radio ;) not the whole stack.

I dunno, Steve. Those look like two completely different colors-black vs. light grey. I'd bet they are; I know Lexus did this in the first gen ES3. The 95-96 interior colors are a lighter shades than the 92-94's. I was looking to put 95 seats in my car, but a few people told me not to because of the color differences. It looks like they've lightened up the color of the wood to match the grey plastic ;).

I dunno, Steve. Those look like two completely different colors-black vs. light grey. I'd bet they are; I know Lexus did this in the first gen ES3. The 95-96 interior colors are a lighter shades than the 92-94's. I was looking to put 95 seats in my car, but a few people told me not to because of the color differences. It looks like they've lightened up the color of the wood to match the grey plastic ;).

Blake,

Sorry about that! - Just the radio, yeah!

This is the exact look of my 99 LS with taupe colored leather/ vinyl; and Yes, a friend of mine who with a 97 Coach has a darker (black) radio - his interior is Grey with grey leather.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know the Pioneer model number of the '98 radio? (It's on a sticker on the back of the unit.) I'd like to get a service manual on it, because I might need to replace some of the cassette tape drive components.

Thanks,

Vince

They're different colors, but hopefully that wont bother you too much. I have a black color permanent marker if you want to make it black. Then maybe use some shoe polish or some Black Magic to get the shine back on it.

P.S. This might not help at all so you might want to leave it the way it is because my home remedies aren't always the prettiest, but they sure are funny.