Throttle Body Cleaning Diy

Dgoude

There used to be a post on here that gave step by step instructions and pictures on how to clean the throttle body for a 99 ES300. I finally have time to do this tomorrow and I can't find that post anymore. Does anyone happen to know the link for that post?

Thanks!

Ok... found the post. Not for an ES but still great... http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30723

But here's another question. To clean my throttle body is it necessary to take the entire thing off, or can I just disconnect the air intake valve, spray some carb cleaner in there and go? Or do I need to go through the entire process? I'm just trying to get a little pep back into my car's step. Don't have any idling problems or anything like that.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Dirty throttle body probably won't make any difference for WOT (wide open throttle) performance. It is more of a problem with erratic idling. The throttle plate doesn't close properly (tightly) due to carbon buildup and the leakage of air by the plate counteracts the IACV modulation of throttle speed.

If you have WOT performance issues it might be blocked fuel filter, weak fuel pump, dirty air filter, dirty injectors, MAF, ignition, or coolant temp sensor. I would think all of these are more likely candidates to full throttle response than a dirty throttle valve.

All this said it isn't a bad idea to scrub the TB every 50-70k miles so you don't get poor idle problems. Especially as the engine gets older and there is more cylinder blow by. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't help WOT performance though.

Dirty throttle body probably won't make any difference for WOT (wide open throttle) performance. It is more of a problem with erratic idling. The throttle plate doesn't close properly (tightly) due to carbon buildup and the leakage of air by the plate counteracts the IACV modulation of throttle speed.

If you have WOT performance issues it might be blocked fuel filter, weak fuel pump, dirty air filter, dirty injectors, MAF, ignition, or coolant temp sensor. I would think all of these are more likely candidates to full throttle response than a dirty throttle valve.

All this said it isn't a bad idea to scrub the TB every 50-70k miles so you don't get poor idle problems. Especially as the engine gets older and there is more cylinder blow by. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't help WOT performance though.

Thanks guys. The car has 176k miles on it and I've never cleaned it before. So worst case scenario I have a clean throttle body! Just hoping all of the gaskets hold up during the change!

Thanks again for the advice. Really appreciate it!