Shocks/struts

MKMD

LS400 1996 . 110,00 miles.

I am pretty sure my suspension needs work.

I checked tireRack.com. They have http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=1996&autoModel=LS400&autoModClar=&brand=&perfcat=premium

What do you suggest from your experience?

Sincerely,

M Khan

From my 272,500 miles experience driving Lexus LS cars, shock absorbers on LS cars usually last over 200,000 miles. Why do you think your car needs new shocks? Usually other suspension parts on these cars wear out far sooner than the shock absorbers. 110,000 miles is a little early for any suspension parts to need replacing except for strut rod bushings which are usually the first suspension component to fail on a 98-00 LS like I have -- not sure if the 95-97 LS is similarly affected.

LS400 1996 . 110,00 miles.

I am pretty sure my suspension needs work.

I checked tireRack.com. They have http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=1996&autoModel=LS400&autoModClar=&brand=&perfcat=premium

What do you suggest from your experience?

Sincerely,

M Khan

From my 272,500 miles experience driving Lexus LS cars, shock absorbers on LS cars usually last over 200,000 miles. Why do you think your car needs new shocks? Usually other suspension parts on these cars wear out far sooner than the shock absorbers. 110,000 miles is a little early for any suspension parts to need replacing except for strut rod bushings which are usually the first suspension component to fail on a 98-00 LS like I have -- not sure if the 95-97 LS is similarly affected.

YEP, 95-97 use the same parts as the 98-2000... just replace your "strut rod bushings" or the whole arm assy.

post-5365-128518638409_thumb.jpg

post-5365-128518642306_thumb.jpg

Struts and shocks on the LS400's should last as long as the car. Other things are far weaker like the upper control arms and ball joints and especially the struts. The look like torsion bars to me but they call them struts. When they are bad, the car wanders and often pulls to one side with the wheel (steering) off center.