Resetting The Radio "anti-Theft" System

3rdfred

Have 1994 LS 400. Recently thought 1 year battery was dead but AAA checked it & it was just poor connection at terminal. Tried to reset the radio security code with same one I have always used but keep getting error message. I am at 9 attempts, 1 more & I guess I have to take it to a dealer to be reset, programmed, whatever. Any suggestions as to how to avoid that trip? Will disconnecting the battery give me 9 more shots at it? Haven't ever changed my 3 digit code so not sure why I can't deactivate the anti-theft system. Thanx 3rdfred

Have 1994 LS 400. Recently thought 1 year battery was dead but AAA checked it & it was just poor connection at terminal. Tried to reset the radio security code with same one I have always used but keep getting error message. I am at 9 attempts, 1 more & I guess I have to take it to a dealer to be reset, programmed, whatever. Any suggestions as to how to avoid that trip? Will disconnecting the battery give me 9 more shots at it? Haven't ever changed my 3 digit code so not sure why I can't deactivate the anti-theft system. Thanx 3rdfred

Maybe the code is the last 4 digits of the key code. The owner of the car could have set there own 4 digit code also. Maybe the last 4 digits of the vin, Beware whistling1.gif

I guess disconnecting the battery is worth a try. You will find out quick enough, after reconnecting the battery, if the tiny "you're screwed" light to the top right of the radio display window lights up or if the display reverts to "Err1" meaning you have another 8 or 9 tries.

By the way, there is no default security code - key code, vin or otherwise. The security code is not set at the factory and was not supposed to be set by the dealer when the car was sold new. If you get this working again, cancel the security code and never set it again. I set the security code on my 90 LS radio once shortly after I bought it in 1990 (just to see how it worked) but canceled it a few minutes later and never set it again during the remaining 13+ years I owned the car. I doubt if you have to worry about theft -- who's going to steal a 16-17 year old car radio?

I guess disconnecting the battery is worth a try. You will find out quick enough, after reconnecting the battery, if the tiny "you're screwed" light to the top right of the radio display window lights up or if the display reverts to "Err1" meaning you have another 8 or 9 tries.

By the way, there is no default security code - key code, vin or otherwise. The security code is not set at the factory and was not supposed to be set by the dealer when the car was sold new. If you get this working again, cancel the security code and never set it again. I set the security code on my 90 LS radio once shortly after I bought it in 1990 (just to see how it worked) but canceled it a few minutes later and never set it again during the remaining 13+ years I owned the car. I doubt if you have to worry about theft -- who's going to steal a 16-17 year old car radio?

I've got my old radio, you can have it for 30 plus whatever the shipping cost is. Came out of my 94 ls. It works fine. I had it in my car before i switched radios. Pioneer avic-u310 bt looks good as a double din and i don't get lost comment back if you're interested. I'd get it checked before you get it because it could possibly be a fuse or like they said a bad connection, but i don't see why the connection would mysteriously go bad.