Mismatched Tires On 400H

So you do the research and you analyze the market and you shop for the best deal to get new meats on all 4 corners of you 400h. Then because you are lazy and don't' rotate the tires as often as you should, two of them wear out faster than the other two.... also helps if you don't over inflate them. D'oh!

The tire guys says, "no problem we will just pro-rate the worn out pair on this visit and do the other ones when you bring it back next time"...

Then the lazy thing kicks in again and by the time of your next visit...THEY DON'T MAKE THOSE TIRES ANY MORE!!!

Now, I've got to find 2 tires that will be a good enough match for the almost new pair until they all wear out together and I can start fresh with whatever tire comes to the top of my research at that time.

I run 255/55/18s

The almost new pair are Goodyear Eagle Responsedge

The replacements are going to be Nitto 420s

I chose them because they are cheap, they wear out fast, the have excellent performance (probably better than the g/y), and they also have the asymmetrical tread (non-directional).

Anyway, I just needed to vent. I feel better now.

I rotate my Bridgestones and end up with howling tires after 30,000 miles - go figure. My Corvette has different wheel and tire sizes from front to back so rotation is not an option. I've been running Goodyear GSD3 tires (best tires I've ever had) and now hear that they may not be making them in my sizes any more. Thus, I may be in the same boat as you! :cries:

When I bought my chrome wheels last year they came with brand new tires, so I kept them. I later realized that the tires they came with were very uncommon and not sold in the US. They have excellent ratings but all the local shops can't order them. So if I ever get a flat that can't be repaired, I'm screwed.

Just hoping they'll make it until they all need to be replaced.

Hey, that's what happens when you order wheels from Somalia.......

haha, i actually got the tires/rims from California on an eBay auction. The tires are "Dunlop SP Sport 270's" but i can't find them for sale here. Supposedly these are what came with the Rx400h's in the UK...

The good news is that flats are far less common than they used to be, back in the days of bias-ply tires. And even if you do get a puncture in a tire, as long as it's not in the sidewall, the tire can be patched. I can't wait to get rid of these Alenzas; they are getting annoyingly loud but still have plenty of tread.

The good news is that flats are far less common than they used to be, back in the days of bias-ply tires. And even if you do get a puncture in a tire, as long as it's not in the sidewall, the tire can be patched. I can't wait to get rid of these Alenzas; they are getting annoyingly loud but still have plenty of tread.

I thought everybody loved the Alenzas...??

I thought everybody loved the Alenzas...??

But the Alenzas are small truck tires and like the Toyos or even the Nittos I just got, they do not seem to be as concerned with noise or ride comfort. You cannot compare a ride comfort of 8.4 on a small truck tire with the same rating on a passenger car touring tire.... They are different scales.

I'm already regretting the Nittos and I may end up giving them back. My nice luxury SUV rides like a truck now (Nittos are on the back axle). The Goodyear Eagle Responsedge tires are much quieter and "more round" if that makes sense... they don't make that hopping sensation as they roll down the highway.

Its like they are out-of-round or that the tread is not concentric with the tire bead... or maybe they are just not seated evenly on the rim, which is totally fixable.

We shall see.

While driving slowly on battery power only, I hear what sounds like an out-of-roundness that also bothers me. Within the year, I'll be researching tires again, that's for certain. The Alenzas were quiet for approx. 25,000 miles but became increasingly noisy after that.

Update on the Nitto's

Had the tire place break the bead and rotate the tires 180 degrees on the rim, then re-balance them

The ride is better but still harsher than the Goodyear's.

I guess I'll keep them, but I'm hoping they wear out sooner rather than later so I can move on to a full set of either:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Yokohama Avid ENVigor