Telephone Not Staying Charged

Clawhammer

My wife has a 2007 ES350 - - she leaves her phone in the car and plugged into the charger at all times.... This has worked for years but now she apparently isn't driving enough miles to keep the phone charged.

I'd like to switch the wiring on the telephone 'plug' in the center console so it is always hot....

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

JJ

Bearone

Thanks for your response.

Not the cigarette ligher. The telephone is plugged into the telephone charger that is located in the bottom right side of the center console. That charger jack is only hot when the engine is running. I want to make it hot all the time so if the car sits in the garage for two or three days the telephone doesn't die.

JJ

Bearone

Thanks for your response.

Not the cigarette ligher. The telephone is plugged into the telephone charger that is located in the bottom right side of the center console. That charger jack is only hot when the engine is running. I want to make it hot all the time so if the car sits in the garage for two or three days the telephone doesn't die.

JJ

Just a couple of quick notes; A cell phone should not drain that quickly unless she is on it constantly. Have you had the battery checked for it's ability to hold a charge? Also, having something constantly draining the cars battery may not be a good thing, even though it's just a little cell phone. Something like a dome light can and has brought down my car battery in 24 hours.

Paul

The cell phone is working fine and the battery has just been replaced.

I'm not worried about draining the battery since this phone only draws until it is charged then it stops drawing until it needs more juice to charge the battery again.

Is there a simple way to make the telephone charger hot?

JJ

The cell phone is working fine and the battery has just been replaced.

I'm not worried about draining the battery since this phone only draws until it is charged then it stops drawing until it needs more juice to charge the battery again.

Is there a simple way to make the telephone charger hot?

JJ

Not that I know of. Since it is connected to the ignition cycle I doubt it would be "easy". Then again, ask your dealer. Any things possible! Let us know what you find out and welcome to the club.

Paul

Maybe your cell phone charger has gone bad - they sometimes do ... just had to replace the car charger for the wife's Crackberry. DC current usually charges a cell phone very quickly and much quicker than an AC charger. You might want to check the DC charger's output. Some of the "universal" mini-USB DC phone chargers put out only half the current of others.

IMO, it is a very bad idea to hot wire the aux power plug to be hot all the time just so you can charge a cell phone. If you want to try something like that, just get a decent high output cell phone charger, wire it directly to the always hot terminal of the ignition switch and leave the aux power port alone. Our phone charging cradles are "hot" all the time and they are wired directly to the ignition switch ... but we would never leave the phones in the cradle even overnight and run down the car battery.