Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch

rcftx

Hi all,

I have a 1993 Lexus SC 400 which I purchased new. It has 85000 miles on it and I have taken good care of it, however after having my instrument cluster needles and bulbs replaced by Lextech in May, I noticed the entire panel has gone dim to the point where I can hardly see the gauges. I am wondering if my instrument panel dimmer switch which is not working is the problem. Does anyone have experience with this and what is the quick fix?

Regards,

rcftx

Was the cluster dim as soon as you plugged in the modified cluster? Or was it fine for a while and slowly dimmed day by day?

Lextech is a hack company. They probably screwed up the voltage. If it worked fine for a while but has gotten dimmer each day to the point you see right now, then they probably screwed up the resistors which probably blew out all the LED's. :wacko:

And when you say your dimmer switch is "not working" can you be more specific? Did it work before the cluster went dim?

Was the cluster dim as soon as you plugged in the modified cluster? Or was it fine for a while and slowly dimmed day by day?

Lextech is a hack company. They probably screwed up the voltage. If it worked fine for a while but has gotten dimmer each day to the point you see right now, then they probably screwed up the resistors which probably blew out all the LED's. :wacko:

And when you say your dimmer switch is "not working" can you be more specific? Did it work before the cluster went dim?

The cluster gauge fix was done in May. Lextech put in new needles and backlight bulbs. After it was installed it appeared to be working fine. The instrument panel dimmer switch from what I recall worked fine. It would dimm the instrument cluster as you rotated the dimmer switch. After 3 1/2 months I noticed the cluster lighting lost its vibrancy and just went very Dim to the point you can hardly see it. Adjusting the instrument panel dimmer switch does nothing to readjust the lighting ...it just stays very dim. I figured maybe it was the electronics in the dimmer switch and took it out to look at the capacitors etc. I have not noticed anything that looks burned out but I am not very knowledgeable about electronics. The capacitors appear normal and not puffed out. I figure maybe I should try to get a used dimmer switch to test if that may be the problem. Unless someone has had the same experience that will be my next step.

rcftx

Did they replace everything OEM? Or with LED's?

I believe all the backlighting bulbs were OEM, however the needles were custom made. I ordered blue needles.

They have been selling these needles for some time I find it somewhat strange that if their fix was blowing diodes, more of their customers would have similar complaints. Candidly I don't quite know what to do next to fix the problem other than trying to buy a dimmer switch from a junk yard to see if that solves the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

RCFTX