Noise From Dashboard... Help!

I have owned my Lexus IS 350 for a little over 1 year now and I have an annoying squeaking noise kind of like foam rubbing against foam coming from the dashboard right in front of the glass in front of the tachometer. The noise started when the car was 6 months old especially when the weather got cold and I knew If I brought it into Lexus that the weather would be warm and the sound would not be reproducible. Now (8 months later), the noise is with very hot and cold weather and with rough road surfaces. My boyfriend was annoyed enough that he was able to pinpoint the noise while driving! When I press on the right screw on the dashboard that is approximately over the tachometer in front of the clear shield on the dashboard, the noise stops! I have tried tightening and loosening this screw but it has not helped! It seems as though the screw is stripped but so is the one on the left (but this one is not making noise)... what kind of screws are these?!?! I have also tried to remove the screw but it does not seem to want to come out! Also, when I press in the area around the screw, it reproduces the same exact sound!

I have called to have my car looked at by Lexus next Wednesday, but I am afraid to hear what they have to say... Can I just buy a new screw for the dashboard and avoid excess trauma to my car? I have seen multiple threads on this topic but not exactly the same, because people have had problems with dashboard clips, but this is a screw!

I was told a $40K car should not have this problem! Does anyone have any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have owned my Lexus IS 350 for a little over 1 year now and I have an annoying squeaking noise kind of like foam rubbing against foam coming from the dashboard right in front of the glass in front of the tachometer. The noise started when the car was 6 months old especially when the weather got cold and I knew If I brought it into Lexus that the weather would be warm and the sound would not be reproducible. Now (8 months later), the noise is with very hot and cold weather and with rough road surfaces. My boyfriend was annoyed enough that he was able to pinpoint the noise while driving! When I press on the right screw on the dashboard that is approximately over the tachometer in front of the clear shield on the dashboard, the noise stops! I have tried tightening and loosening this screw but it has not helped! It seems as though the screw is stripped but so is the one on the left (but this one is not making noise)... what kind of screws are these?!?! I have also tried to remove the screw but it does not seem to want to come out! Also, when I press in the area around the screw, it reproduces the same exact sound!

I have called to have my car looked at by Lexus next Wednesday, but I am afraid to hear what they have to say... Can I just buy a new screw for the dashboard and avoid excess trauma to my car? I have seen multiple threads on this topic but not exactly the same, because people have had problems with dashboard clips, but this is a screw!

I was told a $40K car should not have this problem! Does anyone have any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

See what the dealer has to say. The rx330 I had had a little noise coming from the dash told them about it and they took care of it. Be honest with them tell them where the noise is coming from and it is driving you nuts. I think they will take care of it. Best of luck to you.

Your Lexus dealer has everything to gain by making you happy and fixing the problem correctly the first time. They have a lot to loose in not fixing your problem to your satisfaction. There is an axiom in sales that says: A satisfied customer will tell six people about there experience. An unsastisfied customer will tell EVERYONE! According to your post the car should still be under warranty.

Paul

Your Lexus dealer has everything to gain by making you happy and fixing the problem correctly the first time. They have a lot to loose in not fixing your problem to your satisfaction. There is an axiom in sales that says: A satisfied customer will tell six people about there experience. An unsastisfied customer will tell EVERYONE! According to your post the car should still be under warranty.

Paul

Yeah I am afraid how much it will cost me. The car is only 14 months old. I asked if it will be covered under the "Bumper to Bumper" claim, but the woman didn't know. Thank yall for the advice!

Paul

Yeah I am afraid how much it will cost me. The car is only 14 months old. I asked if it will be covered under the "Bumper to Bumper" claim, but the woman didn't know. Thank yall for the advice!

There is no reason it would not be covered under warranty. I would call and schedule an appointment and get it fixed talk to the S M if you want to be sure it will be covered. Now if you did more than try to tighten those screws they could try to say that you caused it. I don't think they will they will just show it as warranty work. If you are due for a service soon schedule them at the same time.

First, don't panic. Secondly if you have a good dealer it will not be a problem. I have found that even after my warranty was up if something was rattling around or buzzing they would fix it at no charge. I have had my IS for 3 years and there is always some noise we were chasing down.

But regarding your noise. It is in EVERY Lexus IS I have ever driven SAME SPOT (I get a lot of new loaners) If you squeeze between you thumb and forefinger in the spot you are talking about it makes a squeaking foam noise. When I got into an 2010 the other day that was the first thing I did to see if they fixed the issue and it still is being manufactured in the same manner. They need to take the Dash apart and put some felt tape in there.

What I did was pin point the noise and mark the spots with blue painter tape (doesn't leave any residue). the tech was like... thanks you just made my job easier...

Also while the dash is out have them install the "noise kit" (basically clips and foam tape, they know what it is), which will help control the noise that you will soon be getting from the center stack!

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 and my dashboard makes a cracking and popping noise when im driving. This is with the air conditioner on or off. And the same if im running the heater. It almost sounds like if you were driving and a rock hits the window. It is extremly loud!! Anyone else have this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, for follow up... It has been 2 weeks since I brought my IS 350 in to get the annoying noise removed and since then I have not heard one noise! Thanks for the recommendations! Lexus did a great job taking care of the problem and it was covered under warranty. With that annoying noise gone, it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive without having to raise my music!

Hey guys, for follow up... It has been 2 weeks since I brought my IS 350 in to get the annoying noise removed and since then I have not heard one noise! Thanks for the recommendations! Lexus did a great job taking care of the problem and it was covered under warranty. With that annoying noise gone, it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive without having to raise my music!

That's great! Glad it worked out for you. :)