My Next Step. Suggest.

MKMD

Hi:

LS 400 1996 110,000 miles

During the good times I bought a brand new 1996 LS 400. I still have it. Times have changed, and I can't afford to buy a new car because of the economy and putting two kids in college.

So far the car has given me ZERO problems after 110,000 miles. I have religiously changed oil as well as all the fluids, except the final drive fluid. I have also had the "stealers" change the timing belt and the H2O pump thingy.

I have not changed struts or the rear shocks. I did not change them because at 95,000 miles, I took the car to NTB, (National Tire and Battery) as well as Pep Girls ), and they told me that the suspension was fine ( although the "stealers" diagnosed bad struts and ball joints).

My question: What do I need to do for preventive maintainence to drive the car for another 100,000 miles.

As I said, I can't afford a new car.

Yours sincerely,

M Khan

Your owners manual has a list regular maintenance items that you should follow. If you have not already, change the timing belt (and water pump while in there) as soon as possible. Losing a belt at this point could be catastrophic to the health of the engine (and your pocketbook).

Your owners manual has a list regular maintenance items that you should follow. If you have not already, change the timing belt (and water pump while in there) as soon as possible. Losing a belt at this point could be catastrophic to the health of the engine (and your pocketbook).

Thanks for the reply. I had the Timing Belt and the water pump changed by the dealer (Stealers = Lawrence Lexus NJ.)

M Khan

How about a fuel filter,,air filter,changing the sparkplugs and wires and the differential fluid. You said you change all other fluids which I hope included the transmission. Flush out the power steering pump and steering rack in hopes of not having to replace either too soon.

I believe the looming things that commonly go wrong at over 100,000 miles are power steering pump and starter along with the EGR tube cracking.

My 97 LS I bought this year had the timing belt replaced at 90,000 miles with the water pump. I bought it with 150000 miles and had to replace a starter and EGR tube. Niether of which can be helped with flushing fluids lol. Other than that the LS seems to be a very reliable and can go forever.

Let us know what you do!

How about a fuel filter,,air filter,changing the sparkplugs and wires and the differential fluid. You said you change all other fluids which I hope included the transmission. Flush out the power steering pump and steering rack in hopes of not having to replace either too soon.

Air Filter, Sp Plugs, Wires, Distributers,Trans fluid, Steering fluid flush were all changed.

I have NOT changed : Fuel Filter, diff oil and Cabin Air filter.

Where do I get the procedures for the NOT changed.

Thanks so much . Please include the quantity of trans fluid. Can I use Lucas?

M Khan

I think I have read here you can go to Toyota dealer and get the same trans fluid that the Lexus cars use at a far lower price. If you are going to do it I would use that or Lexus fluid if for no other reason than paranoia!! I don't know if Lucas can be used. The cabin air filter?? Take it out and blow it out or vacume it to save some bucks I would guess. I have never changed or bought one of those ,,yet. You could do a search and find something I am sure but I know nothing about that. Before I got my Lexus [1997] I had a Scion XB cube mobile 2006. It even had a cabin air filter. !! I had my first total accident in the Scion ,,the car was toast ,front end and rear were smashed. I got the money for it 9000.00 bucks for 2006 Scion and bought my 97 Lexus for 6500!!! I dumped another 1400 bucks for a starter and EGR tube so I'm still ahead of my entry level Toyota and got their top of the line!! When you said offer quantity of trans fuid ,,did you mean differential fluid??

I feel for you buddy as I got 2 girls going to college too,,but you could do alot worse than what you are driving now!!

If treated correctly I feel we could drive them long enough to be buried in them!!!LOL!!

M Khan,

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? From my reading of your original post, most of the work was completed by mechanics/dealerships. Is the car exhibiting any kind of odd noises (though I see where you wrote that in 110k miles it's given you no issues)? Does the suspension make odd noises going over bumps? Fuel filter and differential oil changes should be on your list to change. There are write ups on how to do these if you're going to attempt these jobs on your own.

Looks like you have a fine driving machine based on your description. Enjoy!

Micah