Strange Unlocking Situation

K.C. Dia

I have a Lexus ES350, 2010 with keyless entry. I have a strange problem that has occurred several times. When the doors are locked and I approach the vehicle from the rear passenger side, when I get about two or three feet from the rear door, the car beeps and the doors unlock. I don't think that I am depressing the open button while walking, but have no other explanation. It has never happened when approaching the vehicle from any other direction. Only from the rear passenger side. I am baffled. Anyone have a similar problem or explanation.

I have a Lexus ES350, 2010 with keyless entry. I have a strange problem that has occurred several times. When the doors are locked and I approach the vehicle from the rear passenger side, when I get about two or three feet from the rear door, the car beeps and the doors unlock. I don't think that I am depressing the open button while walking, but have no other explanation. It has never happened when approaching the vehicle from any other direction. Only from the rear passenger side. I am baffled. Anyone have a similar problem or explanation.

That is strange. How many times has this happened can you do it every time?

Very Odd indeed. This is a just a wild a-- idea, but try using the manual key one time to rest the system. Since the keyless remote is transmitting all the time it may have triggered something weird. Or the antenna at that location may be bad. Just a guess. Look at pages 32-33 in the owners manual.

Paul

It has done it about five time. No, I cannot reproduce it, it happens randomly. The first time was about one week after I got the car. I thought it might be an unlock setup option, but could find nothing in the manual about it. The only logical explanation is that somehow when I am walking, the open button on the key is pushed and I don't realize it. That's hard to believe though and it's strange that it has only happened when I approach the back passenger door from the rear.

Very Odd indeed. This is a just a wild a-- idea, but try using the manual key one time to rest the system. Since the keyless remote is transmitting all the time it may have triggered something weird. Or the antenna at that location may be bad. Just a guess. Look at pages 32-33 in the owners manual.

Paul

That should read "reset the system".

It has done it about five time. No, I cannot reproduce it, it happens randomly. The first time was about one week after I got the car. I thought it might be an unlock setup option, but could find nothing in the manual about it. The only logical explanation is that somehow when I am walking, the open button on the key is pushed and I don't realize it. That's hard to believe though and it's strange that it has only happened when I approach the back passenger door from the rear.

Yea...I don't buy that you are somehow hitting the unlock button in your pocket. I can understand it maybe one time but not 5 times. The buttons don't stick out that far so it would be hard for that to happen over and over. I think Paul is right that if you have hit the lock or unlock button and the system has reset then you should be good. Here is what I would try. Put that key away and use the other key. See if it does it with your other key. If it doesn't then tell your dealer something is wrong with the other transmitter. If it does you have a bigger problem...the car.

My guess is since its always that one door that something is amiss with the sensor behind the handle on that door. The system knows when you walk up...it turns on the interior lights and the puddle lamps. It knows when you put your hand in that door handle to unlock the doors. Somehow it must be thinking the hand is there when it isn't...

A trip to the dealer is in order...

My guess is since its always that one door that something is amiss with the sensor behind the handle on that door. The system knows when you walk up...it turns on the interior lights and the puddle lamps. It knows when you put your hand in that door handle to unlock the doors. Somehow it must be thinking the hand is there when it isn't...

A trip to the dealer is in order...

The Sensor in the door handle is the antennae. It can be putting out more signal than normal. As I said earlier, the remote fob is always in the transmit mode whether it's laying on your kitchen table or in your hand. It could be that the signals are merging way to soon.

Will you let us know what the dealer says?

Paul

Yea...I don't buy that you are somehow hitting the unlock button in your pocket. I can understand it maybe one time but not 5 times. The buttons don't stick out that far so it would be hard for that to happen over and over. I think Paul is right that if you have hit the lock or unlock button and the system has reset then you should be good. Here is what I would try. Put that key away and use the other key. See if it does it with your other key. If it doesn't then tell your dealer something is wrong with the other transmitter. If it does you have a bigger problem...the car.

I'll give that a try, but since it is somewhat sporadic, it may be a while before I know. It is more annoying than anything else.

You know the more I think about it Paul and SW are probably right it is probably the sensor not the remote. It still may be worth a try but it would make more sense if it was the sensor.

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but for some time now I have noticed that when S.W. post something or another member of management, you must scroll down the page for what seems like forever to get to the next posting and/or the bottom of the page. Does anyone else run into this? It happened on this thread today with Steve's post. Is it a system thing, or my browser, or an "act of God" as they say in the fine print of your insurance policy. Kind of troublesome.

Paul

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but for some time now I have noticed that when S.W. post something or another member of management, you must scroll down the page for what seems like forever to get to the next posting and/or the bottom of the page. Does anyone else run into this? It happened on this thread today with Steve's post. Is it a system thing, or my browser, or an "act of God" as they say in the fine print of your insurance policy. Kind of troublesome.

Paul

I haven't noticed it. I use Explorer as my browser.

Paul

I haven't noticed it. I use Explorer as my browser.

I have AOL as my access and it uses Explorer as its web browser. I hope others will jump in here with there experiences. Maybe I should put up a general post.

I have AOL as my access and it uses Explorer as its web browser. I hope others will jump in here with there experiences. Maybe I should put up a general post.

I also have IE and have not noticed it...

I also have IE and have not noticed it...

I solved the problem. I tried bypassing AOL and logged directly into Internet Explorer. I can scan and scroll through any and all post with no problem. Even though AOL uses IE, it must add some sort of code to it that affects it's function. Must be FM... (f...ing magic).

Paul

Cool that's weird though wonder why?

Ok Thread Jacked! :)

Back on topic. So any luck with the other key or plans to go to the dealer.

Even though it last happened last Monday, I haven't been able to duplicate it. I even held a key a few inches from the handle with no results. I am going in for my 25K maintainance next week (yes I put a lot of miles on my car) and will ask about it. I am sure the dealer will say nothing is wrong with it and it is the way I walk, but it is worth a try. BTW, I am not sure how you reset the lock with the manual key, can't find anything about it in the owner's manual. Is it just unlocking the door with the manual key?

Even though it last happened last Monday, I haven't been able to duplicate it. I even held a key a few inches from the handle with no results. I am going in for my 25K maintainance next week (yes I put a lot of miles on my car) and will ask about it. I am sure the dealer will say nothing is wrong with it and it is the way I walk, but it is worth a try. BTW, I am not sure how you reset the lock with the manual key, can't find anything about it in the owner's manual. Is it just unlocking the door with the manual key?

I think they mean hit the lock button, and unlock button on your key...

Even though it last happened last Monday, I haven't been able to duplicate it. I even held a key a few inches from the handle with no results. I am going in for my 25K maintenance next week (yes I put a lot of miles on my car) and will ask about it. I am sure the dealer will say nothing is wrong with it and it is the way I walk, but it is worth a try. BTW, I am not sure how you reset the lock with the manual key, can't find anything about it in the owner's manual. Is it just unlocking the door with the manual key?

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. It's like calling the TV repair man for a fuzzy picture and of course, when he gets there it is working fine!

Page 477 in the Owners Manual list the steps for use of the manual key when the electronic key service has been interrupted. This is just a wild GUESS. But it can't hurt. This type of manual reset is used by late model Volvo's such as my S80 which also has keyless start. I'm more inclined each time I think about your dilemma to believe it's in the sensor/antennae.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the dealer for 25K checkup and mentioned the problem to the service advisor. He said he had never heard of the problem but would check it out. Needless to say, they found nothing, if indeed they really did much looking at all. As I said ealier, it is more annoying than anything. Usualy when the car is locked and I approach it from the rear, I am going to open it anyway. The first time it happened, I though it was an optional feature!

Went to the dealer for 25K checkup and mentioned the problem to the service advisor. He said he had never heard of the problem but would check it out. Needless to say, they found nothing, if indeed they really did much looking at all. As I said ealier, it is more annoying than anything. Usualy when the car is locked and I approach it from the rear, I am going to open it anyway. The first time it happened, I though it was an optional feature!

I had been thinking that it was sometime this week when you had your appointment. It's always the case that when you need it fixed the most it never does it for the repairman. Let us know what develops in the future. This one is interesting.

Paul

Paul

Paul, I'm a new guy to this forum and use AOL as well. Trying to use AOL to browse the forum not only delays the loading of the post/site, it actually locks my computer. I have to shut down and reboot to get anything to respond. MULTIPLE attempts through AOL were useless. I tried Internet Explorer and instant access with no delay. I'm guessing it's something in AOL proprietary security setting....I thought it was my computer so was very interested to read this post. (Sorry to again bump this subject off the OP subject line.)

Paul

Paul, I'm a new guy to this forum and use AOL as well. Trying to use AOL to browse the forum not only delays the loading of the post/site, it actually locks my computer. I have to shut down and reboot to get anything to respond. MULTIPLE attempts through AOL were useless. I tried Internet Explorer and instant access with no delay. I'm guessing it's something in AOL proprietary security setting....I thought it was my computer so was very interested to read this post. (Sorry to again bump this subject off the OP subject line.)

Thank you for validating that I am not insane....leagally that is. I too tried Internet Explorer and found that all of my problems went away. I don't know what's up with AOL but I am going to contact their tech. assist center and at least see if I can get some feed back. This has to be a matter of turning on or off some settings.

Now that I'm on here through I.E., it makes life so much easier. Thank you for your heads up!

Paul

Oh, Welcome to the Club!

Paul

Thank you for validating that I am not insane....leagally that is. I too tried Internet Explorer and found that all of my problems went away. I don't know what's up with AOL but I am going to contact their tech. assist center and at least see if I can get some feed back. This has to be a matter of turning on or off some settings.

Now that I'm on here through I.E., it makes life so much easier. Thank you for your heads up!

Paul

Oh, Welcome to the Club!

Thanks for the welcome, Paul! We've had our '10 ES for 3 days and I'm snapping up all the info I can find. If anything comes out of your AOL contact, I'd like to hear it. Pat