92 Sc400 Loss Of Power/exhaust Red Hot

dandjboo

Help. I have a 92 SC400 that all of a sudden lost power. RPMs drop and does not accelerate. Engine sounds fine.

Smell an unusual smell. Looked under car and the exhaust pipes right below the catalytics are red hot!!!

Oh -- car temperature is not running hot - no white smoke. Just changed oil and it is fine as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

That is what I was guessing. It was weird that both of them just went out at the same time??????

Is this a tough job to replace them?

Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks for the reply!

Take it to your local muffler shop and just tell them you want them cut off..me personally would leave them off and just get new piping put in its place..SOME muffler shops wont leave the cats off cuz of all the smog crap..but just ask them..shouldnt be expensive unless you get them to put new cats back..

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I have found out. I reamed the inside of the cats out. that fixed the red hot exhaust pipe issue but did not solve the loss of power.

Took it to the shop and they diagnosed that it was the ECM. the car was running too rich.

My question is: Is it as simple as buying a used or reman. ECM and unplugging the old and replacing with the new? Is there any programming needed for it to work. The shop quoted me $750 parts and labor. I have found them anywhere from $200 - $400.

Thanks for all the help --- I love this car!!!

Here is what I have found out. I reamed the inside of the cats out. that fixed the red hot exhaust pipe issue but did not solve the loss of power.

Took it to the shop and they diagnosed that it was the ECM. the car was running too rich.

My question is: Is it as simple as buying a used or reman. ECM and unplugging the old and replacing with the new? Is there any programming needed for it to work. The shop quoted me $750 parts and labor. I have found them anywhere from $200 - $400.

Thanks for all the help --- I love this car!!!

that cost is good if its a remanufactured or new ecu

but a used ecu should go for 300-400 so labor should only be 75 bucks for installation

i bet they are throwing some diagnostics in there if its a used ecu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It was one of your coils trust me u have two if one his bad it controls 2 cyls on the right side and 2 on the left makes both cats get red and vehicle runs like *BLEEP* can't go past 25mph

i second the coil. its a very common problem. except you have a coil for each bank of 4 cylinders not 2 lol

the exact same problem has happened to me. i changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and finally changed coils and it fixed the problem

• 2 months later...