Key Won't Turn In Ignition...

If you have the original key code for the vehicle, and you can get the key to turn to the acc position, you can replace the cylinder yourself without too much trouble. By having the original key code, you can get a new cylinder that will work with your existing key, so you don't end up with a new key for the ignition and the original key for the doors. You have to remove some of the the plastic trim from the steering column until you can see a slot in the top of the ignition cylinder housing. With the key turned to the ACC position, use a small screwdriver to press down into that slot, then pull the cylinder out from the housing. Put the new cylinder in and replace the plastic and you should be good to go without using a locksmith.

In my daughters case, the key wouldn't turn at all, so a locksmith came and used lockpicks to get the cylinder to turn enough to pull it out.

Inside the cylinder are brass pins that are cut to different lengths. They all need to line up perfectly in order to turn the cylinder. When they, or your key, get worn, they don't line up right anymore and the cylinder will not turn. Using lockpicks, a locksmith can line them up without a key.

• 1 year later...

I was on this forum reading it because I was frustrated that my car wouldn't start then I went on pure instinct and put the key in and DIDNT turn it. While it was in there i began jiggling the steering wheel and then i turned it to the right until i heard a click. At first i thought i broke it but i turned the key and it worked. I hope people who see this can fix their cars and that this will work for them

• 10 months later...

This problem just started for me and at times my wheels have been perfect and it still locked. Did you find that getting the cylinder replaced is the solution? It happens maybe every month or so

• 1 month later...

Typically, there is no need to do anything other than squirt some powdered graphite (available at many auto parts stores) into the key slot. Work your key in and out a few times and that's it! Our key/cylinder hasn't given us any problems for 5 years now (since I injected the graphite). By the way, the powdered graphite works great for mail key and house door lock cylinders, also.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

This happened to us today after a long time in between occurrences. Since blowing graphr ite in the lock cylinder it has been working great. Well today it locked up again and after reading this thread, this time the fix was jacking the driver tire up to relieve the pressure since wife parked with the wheels NOT straight. Well that worked!

So this issue could be because of both reason: 

- sticky lock cylinder

- wheel not straight and too much pressure not unlocking the steering wheel

To the poster about hearing that metallic sound when the key is removed, is CORRECT. When it was stuck today, i didn't hear that sound when key was removed. 

• 4 months later...

I spent the last 30 mins tinkering with the key and steering wheel. Nothing. This had happened before but usually after a couple mins of jiggling the key it would turn. I read a thread in this forum about the ignition chamber not being lubricated so I found some lube - no not that kind. I found bicycle lube in the house - greased up both sides of the key and voila. I’m sure lube lube would work as well. It’s worth a try. 

Using a dry lubricant (graphite) is best, since particulates tend to stick to wet lubricants, eventually causing issues down the road. I injected graphite into our ignition key hole, 10 years ago and have not had an issue, since.

• 2 months later...

All, just wanted to chip in since there are so many helpful comments here. A wrong Lexus key was inserted into my IS300, resulting in my key not being able to turn at all. I use the spray lube, dry variety, and still no luck. My mechanic buddy suggested I use a straightened out paper clip to move things around in the key hole, and voila! It was such a simple thing to try, and I worked, so I wanted to share that with you all.

• 1 year later...

I inserted the wrong key into my RX 400H key barrel, then used the right key, the barrel got locked...it wouldn't turn. I tried various methods described in this post and others...like lock and unlock the key 5 times then try inserting into barrel...it didn't work...I think what finally worked was this....

just get in the car...lock all doors using the key, then insert into barrel...it worked!

• 1 month later...

I had this exact problem happen on my 2008 Lexus 400h .

The fix was a locksmith came to house took it all apart and fixed it somehow.im guessing tumblers inside broke or something.but I was very lucky it got fixed for 150 bucks .

• 2 months later...