Spark Plug Man Hours

I want to change my spark plugs in my 02 GS300. Looking through this forum, it seems I would need to remove the intake manifold to get to them. I do have the tool to do it myself. Before I take it to a mechanic, I would like to know about how many hours of labor I should be billed for. If anyone has had this done in a shop before, i would like to know about how much it should cost, and if there are any other maintenance things that I should also do while the manifold is removed. the car has 140k and has had its water pump and belts replaced already.

thanks

Shouldn't take more then 60-90 minutes max. for labour, excl. plugs, so you can do the math.

Have a look at the throttlebody too, perhaps it needs some cleaning.

Sounds about right, Definetly clean the throttle body.

Took me almost three hours to change the sparkplugs when I did this for the first time, including cleaning the throttle body. I consider myself to be an experienced mechanic.

Of course, when you have done this a few times, you can probably do this in less than 90 minutes, when you don't have to carefully check how everything is mounted, before you tear it apart.

/Rager

Three hours? That must be including lunch and schnapps? :cheers:

Sparks only can be easily done in +/- 90 minutes by an inexperienced mechanic. Hint: It pays to lookup a DIY!

Do you have difficulties to read? That is exactly what I stated, it could be done less than 90 minutes!

You are so excelent, aren't you?

/Rager

wave, do it yourself, shops will quote you at least 2 hours even though it will be done in one. its not that hard to do. it looks like it at first, but once you start, its a smooth process... there is a pdf file you can google for the instructions. and if doin the plugs, change the wires as well since you have the intake plenum off.

Not a good idea to change the ignition cables if you don't have to. Be carefull not to break them, they are very special and very expensive, almost Euro 100 per cable.

Instead measure them with a multimeter, any value below 200 kOhm is ok.

Regards

Rager

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys,

Just did the job today, it took about 5 hours. But I did the value gaskets while I had the throttle body off. There was some oil in the spark plugs, overall everything looked clean underneath.

Next job is to tackle the suspension rubbers. I get a hollow clunk when I go over some bumps, its not the shocks since all four corners are even and there is plenty of shock absorbtion.

Last, there is a strange vibration that feels like its coming from the front passenger seat/transmission tunnel. Has anyone experienced this before, I want to say it might be a transmission mount or bracket?

Any help would be appreciated.

Well earned money, some DIY :cheers:

More input re. the vibration is welcome. For example, does it occur when driving, idling, both etc?

- check for worn engine or/and transmission mounts (like suspected).

The clunk (does it also appear when braking- or accelerating hard?)

Check for:

- ball joints (urgently, if they have never been replaced before).

- worn control-arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc.

- tighlty fastened strut-mounts

- tightly fastened battery brace.

- worn engine- or transmission mounts