Tire Recommendations...?

stickball

Hi, wise forumites. I just the other day replaced the tires on my 2005 ES330 with Michelin Primacy MXV4. I took the car to a Mr. Tire location and had the front end aligned and four new tires installed and balanced. The tire tech told my wife that these "low profile" tires are a pain to install but are necessary on these Lexus ES330's. Is that true, folks. Are they required? The ride doesn't seem as soft as the previous tires ( I believe the old tires were Yoko's...), and there seems to be considerable vibration at about 58mph and above. Any thoughts? Perhaps the balance was done incorrectly? Help, please. I'm ready to go back to Mr. Tire and have them re-balance, or swap the tires out for something softer. Your thoughts, please... Thanks

Did you get the 215/55VR17 size that originally came on your car? These days, that's not considered to be a very low profile tire and a tire that size is no more difficult to install and balance than tires with a slightly higher profile. It sounds like your tire tech is blowing smoke. The balancing was probably done improperly. It is also possible but very unlikely that one of your new tires is defective.

Are your tire pressures at or just above the pressure figures shown on the door jam of your car? Tire pressure makes a huge difference in ride comfort. Keep them at or just above the minimum recommended pressure on the door jam for the most comfortable ride.

I have Michelin Primacy MXV4, new this Spring, on my 2000 LS and they are fairly soft riding tires compared to the "ultra high performance summer" Bridgestone tires they replaced and the Bridgestone 5000 Sport tires that were original equipment on the car. The Primacy MXV4 has been rated #1 or #2 in the owner ratings I've seen.

If you can't get a decent balance from "Mr. Tire", you might need to go somewhere else.

Did you get the 215/55VR17 size that originally came on your car? These days, that's not considered to be a very low profile tire and a tire that size is no more difficult to install and balance than tires with a slightly higher profile. It sounds like your tire tech is blowing smoke. The balancing was probably done improperly. It is also possible but very unlikely that one of your new tires is defective.

Are your tire pressures at or just above the pressure figures shown on the door jam of your car? Tire pressure makes a huge difference in ride comfort. Keep them at or just above the minimum recommended pressure on the door jam for the most comfortable ride.

I have Michelin Primacy MXV4, new this Spring, on my 2000 LS and they are fairly soft riding tires compared to the "ultra high performance summer" Bridgestone tires they replaced and the Bridgestone 5000 Sport tires that were original equipment on the car. The Primacy MXV4 has been rated #1 or #2 in the owner ratings I've seen.

If you can't get a decent balance from "Mr. Tire", you might need to go somewhere else.

I totally agree. I just traded my 05 ES330 for a 2010 350 and I had the just new Primacy's removed from the 330 and put on the 350, in place of the Bridgestones that came on the 350. THATS how good a tire the Primacy is in my book. In my experience the Michelin Primacy is smooth and quiet. Inflation is key. They are just so-so in snow but don't know if that is n issue for you.

Given the attitude and likely lack of knowledge about Lexus, even though it will cost you, I would have someone else look the tires over before you take it back to Mr. Tire.

Thanks, guys, for the quick responses. I'll check out the tire pressures and see about getting them rebalanced today... and yes, I did indeed get the 215/55/vr17's.

Lexus vehicles are very hard to balance properly, because the smoothness of the ride really pronounces any vibrations from wheels being out of balance.

You may have to take it somewhere with a Hunter RoadForce balancing machine and have them rebalanced there...