Stainless Steel Brake Lines On A Second Gen

ED.

The brakes on my LS are very mushy and have been for years. I'd like to do new lines when I do the brakes next month but cannot seem to find a vendor for stainless steel on the second generation LS.

Any good vendors out there that anyone knows of? Seeing that they are hard to find I worry putting them on since there is not much a reputation for various brands.

If I cannot locate stainless lines I think new rubber ones will be in order.

I plan on doing all new rotors, sensors, pads, lines and a flush come October. A rotor is warped but the rotor is probably 6/7 years old so it has done a great job. I don't think I need front pads but with a warped rotor involved I might as well start everything new. I just hope to eliminate as much of the mushy pedal as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Not sure why you would bother with the lines. Mushy pedal sounds like air in the lines, not the line itself. A warped rotor will make pulsing at lower speeds. I'd do the pads and rotor(s) and rebleed. May be that is all that is required.

Not sure why you would bother with the lines. Mushy pedal sounds like air in the lines, not the line itself. A warped rotor will make pulsing at lower speeds. I'd do the pads and rotor(s) and rebleed. May be that is all that is required.

I agree completely. Even when new the brake pedals on these cars are a little mushy. I've always considered it a "design feature" -- a bit like the ashtrays that glide open slowly. Stainless steel brake lines aren't going to do squat. If there is excess "mush", it's something else.

My '92 has excellent brakes when the caliper sliders are moving freely. When one of them tightens up, which has happened once on the rear brakes and once on the front brakes, the pedal get mushy. Lubing the pins and allowing the caliper to move squarely to the rotor restores the high, hard pedal with excellent modulation feel.

I don't know if your year LS has floating calipers, but if so an easy and inexpensive check would be to lubricate the sliders if present and ensure that the caliper/pad/rotor clearance is established properly.

The brakes on my LS are very mushy and have been for years. I'd like to do new lines when I do the brakes next month but cannot seem to find a vendor for stainless steel on the second generation LS.

Any good vendors out there that anyone knows of? Seeing that they are hard to find I worry putting them on since there is not much a reputation for various brands.

I plan on doing all new rotors, sensors, pads, lines and a flush come October. A rotor is warped but the rotor is probably 6/7 years old so it has done a great job. I don't think I need front pads but with a warped rotor involved I might as well start everything new. I just hope to eliminate as much of the mushy pedal as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Mushy brakes can also be caused by bad flexible lines that attach steel lines to front wheels, I don't know for sure because I've never been under a Lex, but rear brakes also have a flex line somewhere in it's route from the front of the vehicle. If nothing else becomes apparent, change the flexible lines.

Thanks in advance,

ED... I Got my Rotors and ceramic pads from brake overstock (TRW brand) $90 total for each axle. smooth as satin...

You can call them at (888) 441-8808 or e-mail at: brakeoverstock@gmail.com

TRW has been around for many years....

post-5365-128450922823_thumb.jpg

A company named Technafit makes stainless steel lines for 95-00 LS's. I have seen them online for $109. For that price it seems worthwhile to give them a try, particularly if you are doing a complete brake overhaul. My 97LS has 187k and I will be redoing brakes soon. Since I have original rotors which have been turned twice, I will be replacing rotors. I would like to know your experience with new stainless lines, if it is good I might give them a try.