Don't Upgrade Your Es 350 Sound System?

pj8708

I just got my 2010 ES and had a small sub-woofer installed in the trunk. It filled out the bottom beautifully and filled the cabin with a nice rich, full sound. I asked the studio manager about looking at the front door panels to check out what Lexus had installed for speakers. He said he knew what they were as they had done an install on another 350 several months before. In his words, the install "was a nightmare!" He explained that the whole system is tuned with specific crossovers that are not adjustable and every time the customer wanted to change a speaker type or add an additional amp, the whole system would have to be rebalanced and it was virtually impossible. They were finally able to come up with a "paint by numbers" solution that they could not really be totally proud of, but could live with and that the customer liked. After this, he said they would not do any more Lexus upgrades because the system is just to custom tuned from the factory.

With the addition of the sub, I'm pretty happy with the level of sound quality I have. My question is, has anyone tried to enhance their audio system or change the ES 350 front door speakers? If so, with what results?

DCFISH- If your reading, does this scenario sound plausible: Or anyone else reading.

Paul

I mean...people do upgrades to Lexus audio systems all the time...

Geez,...It's about time. I wondered were you'd been. Business must be good, I hope.

I think the point this person was making, and I confirmed this with the dealers accessories manager who also judges car audio competitions, be prepared to start from the head unit and work your way out, bringing lots of money with you. If you are trying to just swap out the door speakers you'll be disappointed.

Paul

Paul

I have spent some money in my younger years on systems and at this point in my life I guess I am happy with the stock system that I have I do have the ML, but even before that I was ok with it. I think the best upgrade for the money is what you have done pop a sub in the rear with an amp. This will give you that nice deep bass that the factory is missing. I think that unless you want to rip the whole thing out and start over then leave the door speakers alone.

Good luck with it.

I was actually out of town, but business is good also!

I might buy that, that its not a system where you can just pop in new door speakers.

How did you go about the subwoofer, did you replace the factory sub?

I just got my 2010 ES and had a small sub-woofer installed in the trunk. It filled out the bottom beautifully and filled the cabin with a nice rich, full sound. I asked the studio manager about looking at the front door panels to check out what Lexus had installed for speakers. He said he knew what they were as they had done an install on another 350 several months before. In his words, the install "was a nightmare!" He explained that the whole system is tuned with specific crossovers that are not adjustable and every time the customer wanted to change a speaker type or add an additional amp, the whole system would have to be rebalanced and it was virtually impossible. They were finally able to come up with a "paint by numbers" solution that they could not really be totally proud of, but could live with and that the customer liked. After this, he said they would not do any more Lexus upgrades because the system is just to custom tuned from the factory.

With the addition of the sub, I'm pretty happy with the level of sound quality I have. My question is, has anyone tried to enhance their audio system or change the ES 350 front door speakers? If so, with what results?

DCFISH- If your reading, does this scenario sound plausible: Or anyone else reading.

Paul

There is complete integration in some newer models that I would leave as intended from the factory. There are owners that think installing the newest, Biggest, systems are better( at least it may make you feel better) If one can afford to tear out an audio system from a new lexus and replace everything IMHO they are throwing there $ out the window. The $ is better spent on a system for ones home. Consider road noise, Music genre, CD/MP3 quality, Radio Reception and many other variables. My.02 centswink.gif

I was actually out of town, but business is good also!

I might buy that, that its not a system where you can just pop in new door speakers.

How did you go about the subwoofer, did you replace the factory sub?

No, I left the factory sub in place and took the signal off of it into the amp, then into a small self-contained Kicker Sub-Station. This is a product that Kicker no longer makes, but I have moved it from car to car for eight years and it is just the right size for filling out the low end notes and giving the Lexus system some "guts".

Glad to hear business is good. The real estate market here is strong as well. Hope your trip was enjoyable.