Rx 300 Possible Starter Going Out? Help!

mhocutt

So, my wife goes out to start the car this afternoon to go get our son. I hear a click, just one; then she tries it again and nothing. I checked the lights, gauges, etc. and everything seems bright as usual, but I went and got a new battery just in case. Thinking, (hoping) that this was all, I put the new battery in and on first try, click.... I think it may be the starter, but wanted some other opinions. If it is the starter, has anyone replaced it on a 2000 or similar model? All replies and any help is appreciated!

So, my wife goes out to start the car this afternoon to go get our son. I hear a click, just one; then she tries it again and nothing. I checked the lights, gauges, etc. and everything seems bright as usual, but I went and got a new battery just in case. Thinking, (hoping) that this was all, I put the new battery in and on first try, click.... I think it may be the starter, but wanted some other opinions. If it is the starter, has anyone replaced it on a 2000 or similar model? All replies and any help is appreciated!

mhocutt- what you want to try when it does that--- while your wife HOLDS the key in START position, take a large wood dowel, rawhide mallet, handle end of a carpenters hammer, etc., etc., and rap on the side of the starter relay. (that's right on top of the starter) The starter is very easy to get to, look down at the back of the engine (that would be drivers side) and you will see it. One of the easiest starters to change in the world. The "jarring" will likely cause the burned contacts to make contact and the starter will work. (temporarily) Do you have ANY mechanical knowledge (experience) or tools? The starter itself on most Japanese cars are made so well that they are almost bulletproof. It is normally the contacts in the starter selenoid that get burned over many years and no longer make good contact. Toyota/Lexus now even sell the contact kit to replace the contacts. It's easy to do and you don't even have to pull the starter off. There are many places online (and maybe even parts stores) that also sell the kit for a few dollars. I don't think the starter itself will ever wear out in the lifetime of the vehicle, just those copper contacts.

By the way, you do NEED to make sure that ALL battery cables AND connections are in good shape, clean and tight. NOT just visually, but take apart, clean with a wire brush and retighten.