Transmission Troubleshooting

ssdoeg2

Howzit Everyone,

I'm still working on my 1995 ls project. The vehicle is now running after putting in a reman. ECU after a complete timing belt/waterpump change. I bought the vehicle knowing there was a possible trans problem and now that vehicle runs the tranny is not working. It does not move in any gear other than at times while siiting there in reverse gear the car will move a little but stop when I give it some gas. Just want some ideas on going forward with troubleshooting. I have just drained the pan and am going to pull it off to look at the valve body and solenoids to see if anything is abnormal. After that I'll put in the proper fluid and filter and see what happens before taking it to a tranny shop. Just hoping I may get lucky and fix it myself. I don't have any history on the car other than that it was owned by a vietnamese jeweler on Oahu. The car is a 1995 with 96,00 miles. Thanks in advance for all your help and many thanks to previous posters who helped me get my 1991 back on the road (starter change).

Howzit Everyone,

I'm still working on my 1995 ls project. The vehicle is now running after putting in a reman. ECU after a complete timing belt/waterpump change. I bought the vehicle knowing there was a possible trans problem and now that vehicle runs the tranny is not working. It does not move in any gear other than at times while siiting there in reverse gear the car will move a little but stop when I give it some gas. Just want some ideas on going forward with troubleshooting. I have just drained the pan and am going to pull it off to look at the valve body and solenoids to see if anything is abnormal. After that I'll put in the proper fluid and filter and see what happens before taking it to a tranny shop. Just hoping I may get lucky and fix it myself. I don't have any history on the car other than that it was owned by a vietnamese jeweler on Oahu. The car is a 1995 with 96,00 miles. Thanks in advance for all your help and many thanks to previous posters who helped me get my 1991 back on the road (starter change).

ssdoeg2,

My '92 began having the same problems about 2 years ago - it would not go into any gear until I let it run for about 20 minutes! The problems began slowly and then got worse. Initially it was only reverse gear, but when L & D started giving me problems, had had enough! Took it into a transmission shop and had them work it over. Turns out that the seals were basically shot and had to be replaced. Everything else inside was basically sound, although the shop decided to replace the torque converter and I think one set of bands, although I am not sure about the bands.

Before I took it in, however, I changed my fluid, cleaned out the pan, solenoids, etc., but no change. Hope this helps.

Mike

Sounds like it had really low fluid but I'm sure you checked it. How did the fluid look and smell? I know it gets kind of dark naturally but usually the smell is a good indication. I drained and refilled and drove then repeated it 5 times and still got some dark out. I find it hard to believe than an LS400 with only 96,000 miles would have these problems. I would take the car to a trusted Toyota dealer (never Lexus or you WILL need a need tranny) and have them check it out. Might turn out to be something not so drastic.

Thanks for the reply guys. I took a chance on the car thinking the same thing that with only 96,00 miles on the car it might not be that drastic a problem. Haven't had a chance yet to look at the valve body yet but I will clean it and do the trans oil complete change this weekend to see what happens and then take it to a tranny shop if it's still bad. The oil did smell burnt when I drained the pan. Again thanks for your help, will post with results of weekend troubleshooting.

I did the tranny filter/fluid change this morning and the car runs. The tranny filter was really clogged/dirty and was probably not allowing any fluid thru it. During the flush the fluid also started looking purple for some reason after a few quarts. I can't believe I got lucky and now I'm a firm believer in the "only use type IV" fluid. Thanks to all for your help, now project #3 painting the car. Really learned a lot doing the TB/WP replacement(project #1) and now the tranny fix(project #2) and also the starter replacement on my 1991 ls but I think the paint job is beyond my skills unless you lexus gods/gurus can walk me thru that too(LOL). Thanks again guys.