Alarm System

my 08 RX 350 was stolen from my driveway. the thieves used a screw driver or some device to break the driver side door lock, pulled out the lock cylinder and got it. My first question is, why didn't the alarm go off (the red light was blinking when i had locked the car the previous night). the car was found abandoned on a highway and it seemed like the thieves had used the credit card key from the owners manual to drive the car away. the mechanic at the dealership was not able to give a good explanation as to why the alarm didn't go off. when i went to check on the car yesterday, they tried to show me that the alarm works but it did not work on a consistent basis.

since i am frustrated with my experience at the dealership, i thought i will reach out on this forum to see if someone can give a good explanation about the alarm and when it is supposed to work (i would presume ALWAYS).

also, the thieves have the credit card key. from what my dealer tells me, once the lock is reprogrammed, only the 2 remote control keys and the valet key can be used to start the ignition while the stolen credit card key can be used to open the front door BUT NOT to start the ignition. IS THIS CORRECT?

anything else i can do on my part to make sure the car is not stolen again?

any help will be much appreciated.

first, sorry to hear about that....

but I don't know why (and will hopefully never find out).

I would certainly contact Lexus and let them know of the faulty alarm system, as this should result in a recall.

but I'll try locking the car via the remote, and then getting in via key (I think this should set off the alarm), and let you know.

Sorry to hear about this too. I did not think that you could start the car with the credit card key. I am amazed that popping out the door lock and opening the door would not have set the alarm off...

If the alarm is on when the door is opened the alarm will go off. I left my wife with the car one time while I went in the store. I accidentally locked the car out of habit, when the wife opened the door to get some air the alarm went off. The wife wasn't to happy with me.

Jeff