Gas Needle Does Not Move

bullen727

I've had this problem since i bought the car. the guy i bought it from said its needs a new instrument cluster. Eventually i took it to a shop they say it needs a sending unit. How would i know which will fix the problem. The needle stays on empty with the light on even when tank is full. i see it do a little movement when i start the car but does not got past the E. Any suggestions. Plus the guy i bought it from has a garage charging 250$ for the fix. Funny thing he sold another Ls400 same year i think as well and the owner came back for their instrument cluster lol.

Sound to me light the sensor in the fuel tank. I'd drive around by milage before I replaced the instrument cluster.

what? lol. what sensor? be more detailed.

There is a sensor in the fuel tank...it lets the "cluster needle" know when it is full or empty. Had one go up on my Jeep before...they droped the tank and replaced it...not sure about yours.

Sound to me light the sensor in the fuel tank. I'd drive around by milage before I replaced the instrument cluster.

what? lol. what sensor? be more detailed.

There is a sensor in the fuel tank...it lets the "cluster needle" know when it is full or empty. Had one go up on my Jeep before...they droped the tank and replaced it...not sure about yours.

im going to take it to a shop. think they would know exactly whats wrong?

im going to take it to a shop. think they would know exactly whats wrong?

There is a diagnostic procedure in the repair manual set for your car. If your shop doesn't have the instructions or know how to generically diagnose this kind of problem then it's hard to say if they can tell you what the real problem is. Sometimes a Lexus dealer or a shop specializing in Lexus is your best bet.

I've had this problem since i bought the car. the guy i bought it from said its needs a new instrument cluster. Eventually i took it to a shop they say it needs a sending unit. How would i know which will fix the problem. The needle stays on empty with the light on even when tank is full. i see it do a little movement when i start the car but does not got past the E. Any suggestions. Plus the guy i bought it from has a garage charging 250$ for the fix. Funny thing he sold another Ls400 same year i think as well and the owner came back for their instrument cluster lol.

I had to reply to this one as I just fixed this same problem yesterday -- refer to "Instrument cluster clock/climate control Dash light issues" above and go to page 17 for post by Rice4eveR. Looks strange but he nails the issue -- blinking instrument panel lights and unresponsive gas guage result from three bad capacitors on the circuit boards behind the instrument panel. I ordered the three capacitors just as Rice4Ever described from Fry electronics and took the penel to a local TV repair guy. He did a beautiful job soldering them in and fixed the ribon cable I ripped in the process of extraction! When I put everything back together last night, I saw fuel guage read 3/4 full for the first time in 3 years! Good luck with your fix. Somebody give Rice4Ever a beer! Oh, by the way, total cost of fix was $30.00 ($25 for solder job and $5 for the capacitors!

I had to reply to this one as I just fixed this same problem yesterday -- refer to "Instrument cluster clock/climate control Dash light issues" above and go to page 17 for post by Rice4eveR. Looks strange but he nails the issue -- blinking instrument panel lights and unresponsive gas guage result from three bad capacitors on the circuit boards behind the instrument panel. I ordered the three capacitors just as Rice4Ever described from Fry electronics and took the penel to a local TV repair guy. He did a beautiful job soldering them in and fixed the ribon cable I ripped in the process of extraction! When I put everything back together last night, I saw fuel guage read 3/4 full for the first time in 3 years! Good luck with your fix. Somebody give Rice4Ever a beer! Oh, by the way, total cost of fix was $30.00 ($25 for solder job and $5 for the capacitors!

I wonder if one of these fixes will cure my fuel gauge? When I fill it up, it registers full on the gauge OK, but only goes down to 3/4 full after driving awhile. It never goes below this reading, until I re-fill

to full.