Remote Start

I previously had a remote start in my 2003 Rx330 and now have one in my 2007 Rx 400h. Have never had any problems with it and the current one even opens the back remote door. The brand I currently have installed is AstroStart made by Astroflex Electronics.

The dealer will never recommend adding an auto start unless it's something they offer and make money on. I have to admit I was a little worried in the beginning because of the latest one being installed on a hybrid but as long as the person installing it knows what they are doing you should be fine. I LOVE having auto start in the winter and the summer!

I just removed the AstroStart remote starter from my 2007 RX350. It gave me problem of starting the car (take 2 crank sometimes - possible of error or bad system?). After remove the starter, it starts with 1 crank and no problem. You may want another brand like Avital, Viper, Python (all made by Directed) depends on your location. I'm going to have Viper 2-way remote starter install next week.

• 3 months later...

I have a '08 RX350 AWD with Nav and interested in installing a remote starter. I get the same reply from the dealer don't go outside of Lexus however, they want $600 to install "THEIR" remote. Does anyone know who is the OEM for Lexus? is it Directed?

Also if you have gone outside of Lexus and its working correctly, what brand did you select?

Any feedback is appreciated......

I have a '08 RX350 AWD with Nav and interested in installing a remote starter. I get the same reply from the dealer don't go outside of Lexus however, they want $600 to install "THEIR" remote. Does anyone know who is the OEM for Lexus? is it Directed?

Also if you have gone outside of Lexus and its working correctly, what brand did you select?

I didn't want to comment for a couple more days, as I'm in the process of having the Viper Smart Start installed on a 2010 RX450h. They've had some problems, but want to wait till we get it done right or rip it out before I commented here. However, I will say this: the factory remote was $375, although I don't know who or what the factor remote start is, Directed or what.

I do know the distance on the factory remote is less than satisfactory. If you have used a remote with some distance capabilities, the 30-75 feet the factory remote works will seem very lame. If you like standing at your garage door and starting your car in the garage, the factory remote is for you. The $600 seems high, but I guess not too uncommon. Check the distance before you order it.

Also too, check to see how the car responds when you get in after remote starting. On a 2010 RX450h with a factory remote, with the car remote started and running, when you approach the car and unlock the doors, the car will stop running and you will need to restart it when you get in. A small pain in the neck. This is not how the Smart Start works in my wife's Nissan Maxima. With the car running after remote starting, you unlock get in, don't touch the brake pedal, and then touch the start/power button twice and you are ready to go. Engine keeps running. These actions are, of course, for safety and prevention of theft.

Also as more computer tech is in the cars, third-party remotes must work well with the computers in your car or it won't work consistently or you'll get errors in the car. Make sure your installer has done your style and age of car. Ask for references of cars they've done and check with those folks to see if they are happy.

Good luck.

I didn't want to comment for a couple more days, as I'm in the process of having the Viper Smart Start installed on a 2010 RX450h. They've had some problems, but want to wait till we get it done right or rip it out before I commented here. However, I will say this: the factory remote was $375, although I don't know who or what the factor remote start is, Directed or what.

I do know the distance on the factory remote is less than satisfactory. If you have used a remote with some distance capabilities, the 30-75 feet the factory remote works will seem very lame. If you like standing at your garage door and starting your car in the garage, the factory remote is for you. The $600 seems high, but I guess not too uncommon. Check the distance before you order it.

Also too, check to see how the car responds when you get in after remote starting. On a 2010 RX450h with a factory remote, with the car remote started and running, when you approach the car and unlock the doors, the car will stop running and you will need to restart it when you get in. A small pain in the neck. This is not how the Smart Start works in my wife's Nissan Maxima. With the car running after remote starting, you unlock get in, don't touch the brake pedal, and then touch the start/power button twice and you are ready to go. Engine keeps running. These actions are, of course, for safety and prevention of theft.

Also as more computer tech is in the cars, third-party remotes must work well with the computers in your car or it won't work consistently or you'll get errors in the car. Make sure your installer has done your style and age of car. Ask for references of cars they've done and check with those folks to see if they are happy.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback, the dealer will not share the OEM used, this is my challenge. If and when I can determine I will certainly share this. My obvious concerns is proper operation and reliabilty, I don't mind paying Lexus a more for this I just want a fair price.

The fuctionality of restarting your 2010 RX450h seems a bit strange but I have heard similar stories with other vehicles. Not sure why this would be an issue. I will be calling several regional dealers and will share this with all.

Thanks again !!!!!!

Thanks for your feedback, the dealer will not share the OEM used, this is my challenge. If and when I can determine I will certainly share this. My obvious concerns is proper operation and reliabilty, I don't mind paying Lexus a more for this I just want a fair price.

The fuctionality of restarting your 2010 RX450h seems a bit strange but I have heard similar stories with other vehicles. Not sure why this would be an issue. I will be calling several regional dealers and will share this with all.

Thanks again !!!!!!

Installing the Viper Smart Start has not worked, but they are blaming the failure on the fact I have A T & T EDGE(2G) service in my area. The Viper apparently needs 3G cel speeds to function reliably. The Drone remote start advertises it works with 2G. A regular Viper remote start still is a good choice if you don't want to use your phone.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Check the company's Facebook pages for users' comments.

There is nothing wrong with using an after market remote start. In fact, my Lexus dealer uses Viper as their after market product, and sell a ton of them.

Your right, there are a few quirks with Lexus models. As stated, when you get in you must touch the start button twice or, when you touch the brake pedal to put the car in gear, the engine will die. Obviously to prevent theft. The range of the Python that my car audio shop insatlled in my 2010 ES is about 2,000 ft.

The cost of my system was about $500. installed.

Paul

• 7 years later...

I decided to go with an Installer in Toledo, Ohio. A very good Auto electronics and remote starters in West Toledo. They are called Tas Electronics on Monroe St. They quoted me a Remote start with 2 New Fobs and Smart Phone enabled. No transponder key needed, just use existing keys to start Lexus RX350 as usual. $325.00 + Tax.