Brake Lights

bullen727

i was wondering what is the reason for my brake light to keep going out? its the same exact bulb every time. i recently investigated the issue to see that the socket for the bulb was burnt out it seem like. so i went to the junkyard and pulled one out. i put it on mine and problem was solved for like 3 or 4hrs. the sensor is back on again. Any suggestions before i burn the car lol.

Hi,

You could try swopping a known good bulb from the other side brake light and see if it still blows in that position,try another make of bulb (defective batch perhaps?) also check the battery voltage when the engine is running to make sure the alternator isn't giving out too much voltage.

In the UK we cannot afford the gas to burn cars at around $8.00 a gallon!!!lol

Hi,

You could try swopping a known good bulb from the other side brake light and see if it still blows in that position,try another make of bulb (defective batch perhaps?) also check the battery voltage when the engine is running to make sure the alternator isn't giving out too much voltage.

In the UK we cannot afford the gas to burn cars at around $8.00 a gallon!!!lol

i will try it later on and see. i do know i have a power shortage somewhere. i used the light test on the battery but i did not go through with the fuses. I got down to the fuse box under the dash to realize some of my fuses were in fact misplaced. How many fuse boards are on this car anyway?

bullen727,

Is your fuse blowing or is it your bulb? In my '92, one of the two of my right rear brake light bulbs kept blowing and the fuse kept blowing as well. Finally to get to the bottom of the problem, I stripped the trunk and looked at the wire-harness leading up to the light assembly. Turns out that the heat from the bulb had melted the insulation on the hot wire in the bulb holder assembly, which in turn caused the wires to short to ground, arc the bulb, and blow the fuse. After I cleaned up the mess, everything worked as before - good! In the process, I also eliminated some of the well documented trunk wire problem! My yellow ground wire had a break internally!

HTH

mike

bullen727,

Is your fuse blowing or is it your bulb? In my '92, one of the two of my right rear brake light bulbs kept blowing and the fuse kept blowing as well. Finally to get to the bottom of the problem, I stripped the trunk and looked at the wire-harness leading up to the light assembly. Turns out that the heat from the bulb had melted the insulation on the hot wire in the bulb holder assembly, which in turn caused the wires to short to ground, arc the bulb, and blow the fuse. After I cleaned up the mess, everything worked as before - good! In the process, I also eliminated some of the well documented trunk wire problem! My yellow ground wire had a break internally!

HTH

mike

nor fuse or bulb blowing. well i never checked the fuse recently.

On my 90, I had a brake light that kept going off an on. I took the lights apart and the socket had one prong not making good contact because it was much lower than the other. I "readjusted" the connection and it worked well. The bulb burned out once during the interim but never again.

I think the previous suggestion to check for burned and bad connections is the way to go.

Could it be a crack in the plastic lens? That would allow water in and if cold water touches the hot bulb it will likely crack and then the bulb would die quickly. I've seen this on boat trailers many times...