Very Low Frequency Boom

I have a 2008 LS460 and have noticed a very low frequency 'boom' which appears at almost exactly 61 mph and goes away at around 64-65 mph. It sound as though the Mark Levinson Speakers are on! I have reviewed the wind noise discussion and wonder if it might be caused by missing plugs under the car? It does not sound like wind noise. Any one else with this problem?

Ken B

I have a 2008 LS460 and have noticed a very low frequency 'boom' which appears at almost exactly 61 mph and goes away at around 64-65 mph. It sound as though the Mark Levinson Speakers are on! I have reviewed the wind noise discussion and wonder if it might be caused by missing plugs under the car? It does not sound like wind noise. Any one else with this problem?

Ken B

I think the "missing plugs under the car" is a red herring.

Ken B

Ken B

Ken B

Ken B

Thanks Jeff: I feel that it is a fundamental body or shell resonance, but need to know if it is common to other LS460s

Ken

Ken B

There is a tech bulletin regarding the gps antenna bracket that is under the headliner next to the rear window. It sets up a harmonic vibration. The fix is a removal of the interior to beef up the bracket. I had this exact same issue with a 2008 LS and decided to trade it rather than have them do this knowing what would probably happen to the detail of the car. Best of luck in getting it fixed----------------forthlexus

Ken B

There is a tech bulletin regarding the gps antenna bracket that is under the headliner next to the rear window. It sets up a harmonic vibration. The fix is a removal of the interior to beef up the bracket. I had this exact same issue with a 2008 LS and decided to trade it rather than have them do this knowing what would probably happen to the detail of the car. Best of luck in getting it fixed----------------forthlexus

Thank you very much. I appreciate you letting me know about this. A bit concerning that they might not get the trim back correctly. Do you know when/what year the fix was introduced.

Ken

Ken Bhttp://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=91&t=66342&qpid=418797

Dear Forthlexus: I have found a similar tech bulletin for an ES350 relating to the tire pressure antenna in that position you mention, but nothing for the LS460 and the noise problem sounds different for this one. Amazingly similar though. Do you have a reference to the tech bulletin please?

http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/187/TSIB+NV008-06+RATTLE+NOISE+FROM+HEADLINER+AREA

Thanks

Ken

Thank you very much. I appreciate you letting me know about this. A bit concerning that they might not get the trim back correctly. Do you know when/what year the fix was introduced.

Ken