Trunk Release

ED.

The trunk release on my 1996 no longer works with the remote or with the switch inside. The only way I can get it open is going manual with the key and turning it open that way.

Is this an electrical problem possibly?

Thank you.

Ed

Hi,

With both the remote and switch not working it would suggest a common cause would be the lock assembly inside the trunk lid. The motorized release is part of the complete lock assembly and I am not sure if the motor can be replaced as a separate item if faulty.

I would remove the trim on the trunk lid and have a good look at the motor/lock assembly to see if it moves freely or not,check the wiring to it and although the loom fault affected mainly models to 1994 check the wiring loom running around the trunk lid hinge.

I had a problem with the inside trunk release on the 93 LS I owned, and it turned out to be the common "broken wire in the trunk wiring harness" problem. That being said, there are usually other weird electrical problems within the car when there is a broken wire in the harness. In the absence of any other problems, it could well be a bad trunk lock.