Thick Wax

is there such a thing as thick wax, i want a good think layer on there so i dont have to wax it that often, plus the car is black, so i wont get that much swril marks,

a friend said that 3M was some thick stuff but are there anyothers, or is 3M even thicker than meguires.

Putting the wax on thicker makes no difference, its the amount that is cured to the paint and the rest is just waste. Won't guard you against swirl marks either as the protection is microsopically thin.

What you need is something like a polymer sealant, Klasse, Zaino etc that you can layer and wont have to completely re-apply every month. A carnuaba wax is going to be gone in 2 months at the most, even the most durable of them.

The best way to guard against swirl marks is simply to learn how to wash the car properly:

1. NEVER wipe the car in a circular motion, EVER. Always wash, dry, wax, buff in straight lines.

2. Always use good quality microfiber towels (we sell them at LexusCarCare.com) a good quality sheepskin or chenile wash mitt, and two buckets, one with soap and one with rinse water.

3. Use LOTS of water and never wipe the car with any pressure

4. Never use automatic car washes.

okay , so zaino has a polymer style sealant, ill look in to that, another thing,

why 2 buckets, up untill now i use 1 bucket with soap, to wash the car, then i use the hose to water it off,

so the second bucket is used for what????

fill me in more im new to this 2 bucket thing,

What you want to do is use the second bucket to rinse out your wash mitt. Also wash the car from the top down.

So you'd dunk in the clean water, swish around, load up on soap, wash the panel in straight lines, rinse out well in the rinse bucket and repeat. Especially important as you get down around the beltline.

Also never use the same mitt for wheels/wheel wells and the rest of the car.

Download the e-book from www.lexuscarcare.com

• 3 months later...
Putting the wax on thicker makes no difference, its the amount that is cured to the paint and the rest is just waste. Won't guard you against swirl marks either as the protection is microsopically thin.

What you need is something like a polymer sealant, Klasse, Zaino etc that you can layer and wont have to completely re-apply every month. A carnuaba wax is going to be gone in 2 months at the most, even the most durable of them.

The best way to guard against swirl marks is simply to learn how to wash the car properly:

1. NEVER wipe the car in a circular motion, EVER. Always wash, dry, wax, buff in straight lines.

2. Always use good quality microfiber towels (we sell them at LexusCarCare.com) a good quality sheepskin or chenile wash mitt, and two buckets, one with soap and one with rinse water.

3. Use LOTS of water and never wipe the car with any pressure

4. Never use automatic car washes.

what about the touch free automatic car washes. the lexus dealer here has one in the dealership. are they ok for light cleaning? i know they dont clean it well but sometimes in the winter its nice to get the free saturday wash.

touch free is ok for once in a while but they are just high pressure water and dont do a great job.also i heard they dull the paint after time for high pressure water hitting the paint but no sure how true it is.

Touchfrees are fine in a pinch, I use a touchfree during the winter also. There are specific waxes you can use like Collinite 476 Detergent Proof wax that will better resist the detergents in the wash. One thing though, don't let them dry it at the Lexus dealer or they will scratch the hell out of it.