Worn Out Steering Wheel On My Es300,options Or Suggestions To Fix

pete rock

hi clubbers simple question.my steering wheel on my 93 es300 is completely worn out and torn on the top due to the really hot weather this summer.it was wearing little by little but now its shot on top.now of course i can buy a steering wheel cover,but i really hate how cheap it looks and how bulky looking on the wheel they are.i really love the sleek look of the original steering wheel.now id love to find a really tight wrap type cover.but have never seen any.ive also seen a leather wrap on ebay that you can lace up yourself.does anyone have any suggestions or options they've used or seen.any and all suggestions are much appreciated thanx

hi clubbers simple question.my steering wheel on my 93 es300 is completely worn out and torn on the top due to the really hot weather this summer.it was wearing little by little but now its shot on top.now of course i can buy a steering wheel cover,but i really hate how cheap it looks and how bulky looking on the wheel they are.i really love the sleek look of the original steering wheel.now id love to find a really tight wrap type cover.but have never seen any.ive also seen a leather wrap on ebay that you can lace up yourself.does anyone have any suggestions or options they've used or seen.any and all suggestions are much appreciated thanx

I've used the leather wrap before on a Mercedes that I used to own. Although it felt and looked fine, it made the steering wheel diameter slightly larger, so it did not feel right.

If I were you. I would either buy a used steering wheel in good condition, or alternatively have a leather repair shop fix your steering wheel. Its not that hard, nor expensive, and if done right, should come out looking brand new.

Phil

How hard is it to get the steering wheel off?

it's really not that hard. i had to do it to get to the window wiper switch. you basically need like a t30 torx bit, a long philips head screw driver, a small flat heat for popping off some of the sides and a steering wheel puller to pop the well off. i think that's all basically. if you get the haynes manual it tells you how to do it. you should remove the negative terminal from the battery don't want the airbag possibly deploying.