Help - Caliper Noise

LexyLuv49

Hello everyone! I bought an 07 ES350 in Jan. 10. Warranty to 100,000 miles. I bought it with 37,859 miles on it. I started hearing this thumping sound when I applied the brakes, coming from the front right side.

My husband told me it was the pads pressing against the caliper and it was fine. I let it go until I couldn't any longer. #1 - Took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't hear it. #2 - After a month or so, took it back. They did hear it and tighten the brakes and whatever else. Drove it for a while, it started again. #3 - April - The shop manager rode with me and told me it definitely was not suppose to make the noise/sound. They kept it 2-3 days they called corporate and they Replaced the Fitting Kit. #4 August - It started again. My husband was driving it and said there is no way the brakes should be doing this. Now the Service Manager is telling us it's a Floating Caliper and the pads are on @ an angle and it is suppose to make this sound, they are only moving into place when brakes are applied. He rode with us and the sound I was hearing was the same sound he heard. He repeated over and over that there is nothing wrong with the brakes and "he wouldn't let me drive off the lot if it was", alrighty then. Also, he drove another 07 and it was doing the same thing.

My invoice states "Test drove vehicle and can hear pads shifting in caliper bracket, this condition is normal. Verified with another 07 ES350. Has SVC Manager test drive and he agrees with this. Operating within factory specs". OK, OK, OK, What is going on cause it has continued to make the sound. Does anyone know for sure if this is suppose to happen. AND NO, I didn't drive another 07, maybe we need to go do that. I haven't spoken with the Shop Manager either, maybe I need to call him. I sometimes wish I had bought another vehicle. It just doesn't seem right. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello everyone! I bought an 07 ES350 in Jan. 10. Warranty to 100,000 miles. I bought it with 37,859 miles on it. I started hearing this thumping sound when I applied the brakes, coming from the front right side.

My husband told me it was the pads pressing against the caliper and it was fine. I let it go until I couldn't any longer. #1 - Took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't hear it. #2 - After a month or so, took it back. They did hear it and tighten the brakes and whatever else. Drove it for a while, it started again. #3 - April - The shop manager rode with me and told me it definitely was not suppose to make the noise/sound. They kept it 2-3 days they called corporate and they Replaced the Fitting Kit. #4 August - It started again. My husband was driving it and said there is no way the brakes should be doing this. Now the Service Manager is telling us it's a Floating Caliper and the pads are on @ an angle and it is suppose to make this sound, they are only moving into place when brakes are applied. He rode with us and the sound I was hearing was the same sound he heard. He repeated over and over that there is nothing wrong with the brakes and "he wouldn't let me drive off the lot if it was", alrighty then. Also, he drove another 07 and it was doing the same thing.

My invoice states "Test drove vehicle and can hear pads shifting in caliper bracket, this condition is normal. Verified with another 07 ES350. Has SVC Manager test drive and he agrees with this. Operating within factory specs". OK, OK, OK, What is going on cause it has continued to make the sound. Does anyone know for sure if this is suppose to happen. AND NO, I didn't drive another 07, maybe we need to go do that. I haven't spoken with the Shop Manager either, maybe I need to call him. I sometimes wish I had bought another vehicle. It just doesn't seem right. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello and welcome,

Lexus is trying to pull a fast one on you. There should never be any noise whatsoever when the brakes are applied to any vehicle. If noise is heard, then there is problem with the calibers, pads, rotors and/or even the supension system. I would take the car to a non-Lexus shop and have them analayze the problem and then present their finding to the Lexus dealer(or tell them in a discreet way what the problem is). Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome,

Lexus is trying to pull a fast one on you. There should never be any noise whatsoever when the brakes are applied to any vehicle. If noise is heard, then there is problem with the calibers, pads, rotors and/or even the supension system. I would take the car to a non-Lexus shop and have them analayze the problem and then present their finding to the Lexus dealer(or tell them in a discreet way what the problem is). Hope this helps.

Thx so much LexPaul, I'll do just that this coming up week. Have a Great Weekend!!

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the Salesman that I went to when I bought my car, went for a ride, he heard it. We drove another 07 and did not hear the noise. :whistles:

The shop manager went with hubby for a ride and of course he heard it, I'm taking it back this Wednesday. Lets see what happens now.

• 5 months later...

Hello There, I forgot to let you all know what the problem was with my car. After all this back and forth the Shop Manager worked on the car, they kepted it for 3-4 days and the Slide Pins had seized up so they lubed all slide pins on the calipers. He told me that they were completely dry on the right. He repeatly told me they were sorry for all the inconvenience. He also spoke to the Tech who had been working on my car prior to himself, I'm glad of that cause the guy had a checklist and I guess he was marking off things he hadn't really done. :chairshot: As of today no popping sound. I guess like anything else you need to keep pushing for what you know is right and you'll finally get to the right person who will take the time to help. Oh yeah, this was around October 5th, just wanted you all to know.