Overheating

latour

Hello to everyone, thanks for all the help. I'm a newbie, so forgive any mistakes. Here are the problems:

1992 ES-205,458 mi. There is white smoke & drops of water coming out of the exhaust(head/head gasket?), ran idle for 15 min before it reached red, resevoir hose dripping, new rad cap, bottom rad hose got warm, fan started steady, stayed steady, power fluid was filled at first, then became empty. What's the deal? Is this a possible diy? Also, the oil is not milky or creamy. Thanks a bunch!

Hello to everyone, thanks for all the help. I'm a newbie, so forgive any mistakes. Here are the problems:

1992 ES-205,458 mi. There is white smoke & drops of water coming out of the exhaust(head/head gasket?), ran idle for 15 min before it reached red, resevoir hose dripping, new rad cap, bottom rad hose got warm, fan started steady, stayed steady, power fluid was filled at first, then became empty. What's the deal? Is this a possible diy? Also, the oil is not milky or creamy. Thanks a bunch!

White smoke & moisture out of the exhaust means coolant is getting into the system and that most likely means a blown head gasket. If you have the tools and a manual to guide you it can be done. Just did it to a '93 myself. If the oil was milky that would mean you have a cracked block, yours isn't so just a blown head gasket would be my guess. For the power steering fluid, look for leaks at the pump and the fan and all the hoses in between. Hoses that drip at the very least need the clamp adjusted or changed. Make sure the clamp is right behind the bump at the end of the pipe and straight. If you do the HG job you might want also to replace the timing belt & water pump while you are in there. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the crank & cam pulleys off. Check my other posts for the tool I used to get the crank pulley off. For the cam pulleys, take off the valve/cam covers & grab the cam with a 24mm wrench. About half way down the cam there's a spot for it, looks like a big nut around the cam.

DJSG3