Brake Icon Illuminated On Dash

VBdenny

As I was driving to work today, the brake light came on. The same light that comes on with the parking brake however that is not depressed. The fluid didn't look low so I assume it is an issue with the brake system itself. The brakes still work fine and there is no noticable difference other than the crappy brakes the 90's had.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and what you found. The car was inspected recently and the pads all have more than 50% left.

Mine did that for a few months, it would come on full, dim, flicker, etc., completely random. I finally unplugged the brake fluid level switch as a test and it went out. The switch wears due to age and fluid corrosion, that's probably what has happened with you.

I maintain my car and do the brakes as needed, so I just left it unplugged. Plus I check all fluids and such on a regular basis. Saves buying an new OE switch which is likely expensive.

exactly what I needed to hear. Yeah, it flickered for awhile first then went off then stayed on. Having worked on about every aspect of brake systems over the years I suspected it was something like the switch. Where is the thing so I can disconnect. The only issue I see is with the parking brake light. I live in the flatlands and we don't use them but still.

mine in an '04 so not sure it relates but sometimes my brake light goes on even when I don't deply the parking brake. Just pulling the PB release is all it takes to turn the light off. Must be a hair trigger switch on the parking brake pedal...

exactly what I needed to hear. Yeah, it flickered for awhile first then went off then stayed on. Having worked on about every aspect of brake systems over the years I suspected it was something like the switch. Where is the thing so I can disconnect. The only issue I see is with the parking brake light. I live in the flatlands and we don't use them but still.

Open the hood, look at the brake master cylinder, you'll see a lead coming off of it with a plug anchored to the back of the cylinder. Unplug it. The parking brake light still works, it's a dual light with a diode to isolate the two circuits, so if one signal is disconnected the other still works fine.

mine in an '04 so not sure it relates but sometimes my brake light goes on even when I don't deply the parking brake. Just pulling the PB release is all it takes to turn the light off. Must be a hair trigger switch on the parking brake pedal...

Mine does that too, the hydraulic cylinder that allows the parking brake pedal to rise up slowly starts to fail and allows it to stay partially engaged. I just stick my foot behind the pedal and pull it on up after releasing the handle. You can just remove the cylinder but then it 'snaps' up, you no longer have that slow, easy release you're used to.

I thought it might be the parking brake but I checked and it is all the way up. I'll just disconnect the wire on the master cylinder and I should be good to good. Did I mention I just love the LOC?

Before I went and disconnected the sensor plug, I did a drive around and then checked my brake fluid and it was low again. Uh Oh, something else going on so I took a flashlight and looked around the wheels. Sure enough, the flexible brake line on the right front was squirting fluid. I went down to Bap-Geon today and picked up 2 new hoses. Now if I can get them on before Earl gets here.

Possible? probable in this case. I went ahead and replaced the hoses on each side and with the help of a neighbor's foot, bled them out and they work great (as good as 90's get anyway) now. Not sure why when the leak occured on the front brakes that none of them worked. Seems there is only 1 reserviour in these master cyclinders. Either way, it is something to take a look at if you have an early LS. $50 for new hoses seemed like a good idea.