Starting Problems...

mikesmithmillis

Hi All,

I have a 98 LS400 w/140k on it. I went to start it the other day after it sat for week and the battery was apparently dead.I started it woth a jump box and the car would stutter but not start. It's almost like it's not getting enough fuel. Besides the fuel pump is the some common problem here regarding this issue. Thanks for the info in advance...

There is no common issue that I can recall. You might try spraying some starter fluid in the air intake to see if it might try to start up. That would give you a clue as to whether the engine was starving for fuel.

Perhaps your jump box (whatever that is) is not powerful enough to start the engine. Try some good jumper cables with another car.

Did the car run fine the week before it was put away?

I would say that your battery was getting weak and even the minor electronics drained it. These 400's need a LOT of juice to start. I have had the battery go dead a couple times because the switch on the driver's door to turn on the inside light would stick. IF you left the headlights in the ON position, they wouldn't go off if the switch stuck. Result was a battery deader than a doornail. Took running another car connected for about 1/2 hour to even jump start it. A jump box will not start one of these. See if you can use a battery charger to charge up for awhile then it should start fine.

I gave up trusting the automatic features on the lights and make sure they are always off. I also did clean and lubricate the switch but I still don't trust it very much.

Maybe better to throw a charger on the battery and wait a couple hours then retry. At least you should have enough power to fire the engine and power the ECU/ignition (presuming your battery is OK). Since the car mysteriously stopped working coincidentally with a dead battery I'd rule that out before looking to other causes. It just doesn't seem like two things died at the exact same time. Possible, but not very likely.

NOTE:

with a low battery, one of my 99 would crank over and over, but would not start, I swapped batterys and shazam! it started, so I got a new battery and no more problem.

these things are very sensitive to voltage....

here are photos of both, twins except wheels

post-5365-128337547616_thumb.jpg

post-5365-128337555291_thumb.jpg