Anyone Experienced A Stuck Accelerator?

edndiana

I purchased a used 2006 IS350 one week ago. This afternoon while pulling into a parking space which was a 'pull through' spot, as I applied the brakes, the engine accelerated, As I pushed harder on the brakes, the engine accelerated more. I finally pushed the shifter into park and the engine accelerated very high while I kept pressure on the brake pedal. It wasn't until I took my foot off the brake that the engine dropped back to normal. The only thing racing at that point was my heart. Which isn't good for an old !Removed! like me.

Here is my question(s); 1. Has this happened to anyone else? 2. Since this is a new car to me, do you think it is possible I was pushing the brake and the accelerator at the same time, which would cause the same outcome. The brake and gas pedals are closer together that my old Matrix. Has anyone had the same driver error?

One side of me says take the car back to the place I bought it and demand an explanation. The other side of me says, ' you dumb ____, you were pressing the gas and brake at the same time. Any help or opinion is appreciated.

Oh, No floor mats in my car.

Well, what you describe "could" have happened by pressing both at the same time, but we can't really tell... I've never heard of this happening before.

There have been reports of Toyota's and Lexus' "taking off" on people (i'm sure you've seen this in the news) but there was never any proof, and it usually happened while cruising at highway speeds.

I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just "be on the lookout" for it, in case it happens again. If it happens again, then do something about it.

This happened to me when I first owned the GS300. Scared the sh*t out of me. I'm sure you pressed the brake- and gaspedal at the same time, explaining the revving when braking hard.

I was wearing my heavy duty boots that day and I haven't small feet either.. :whistles:

Thanks cduluk & intakerGS,

I have played that senerio through my mind again and again and convince myself it is possible I had my foot on both the gas and brake. Then I think about what happened and think, no way!

I wonder what Toyota\Lexus would say if 2 months from now it happened again? My used car warranty runs out in 30 days and I would be stuck with this rocket.

PS intakerGS; I like the bug crawling on the screen. I can't tell you how many times I tried to wipe it off my monitor.

Thanks Guys! Much appreciated.