Rack And Pinion Replacement

aahusman

I have a leaky boot on my rack on my '92. The repair shops tell me that I need to replace the entire rack rather than just fixin the boot. Has anyone ever replaced the rack themselves? Does it require having a pro-style lift or can I do it with a floor jack and jack stands?

I replaced my complete rack myself (91 LS400) with just what you have=a floor jack and stands. Its a very dirty job but worth doing yourself. A very reputable shop quoted me 200. to install, but also told me I could do it myself if I didnt mind getting dirty.. I would suggest because of the year and mileage? that you should buy the complete rack with the solenoid rather than swapping in your old solenoid or just replacing a boot. I got mine from a supplier for 325. and got back 175. for the old core. They paid for the return shipping too! Check out their website> discountsteering.com it also comes with a 3 yr warranty..Good luck, Bobby

I have a leaky boot on my rack on my '92. The repair shops tell me that I need to replace the entire rack rather than just fixin the boot. Has anyone ever replaced the rack themselves? Does it require having a pro-style lift or can I do it with a floor jack and jack stands?