I Just Bought Another 99 Ls400

billydpowell

Hi, I just bought another 99, and it has the tilt/tele problem.

knowing 98 and up are different, is there a cheap fix for this?

my tele is working, but my tilt is NOT.

any help appreciated and photos of the parts are needed also.

here she is...

post-5365-128305181114_thumb.jpg

here she is...

I don't know if will help but the following thread has a TSIB I supplied in 2008 which has drawings of both the tilt and telescope motor assemblies on the 99-00 LS400: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52466&st=0&p=338068&hl=%20tilt%20%20TSIB&fromsearch=1entry338068

The drawings seem to be quite detailed if you zoom in on them. I was lucky that my 00 LS was about the 6,000th car assembled after the revised tilt and telescope motors were implemented at the factory.

here she is...

I don't know if will help but the following thread has a TSIB I supplied in 2008 which has drawings of both the tilt and telescope motor assemblies on the 99-00 LS400: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52466&st=0&p=338068&hl=%20tilt%20%20TSIB&fromsearch=1entry338068

The drawings seem to be quite detailed if you zoom in on them. I was lucky that my 00 LS was about the 6,000th car assembled after the revised tilt and telescope motors were implemented at the factory.

I think that is enough info for me to take it apart and try to fix it/see what is wrong.

hopefully get it working, I think they are quite expensive, but at least I should put it in a comfortable position for driving....

THANKS FOR THE DRAWING.

post-5365-128313398955_thumb.jpg

Man you're gonna have a fleet!

WELL.... after I pull the chrome wheels off the 97, I will sell it... its flawless.

been around the world a few times, but WELL maintained.. WP/TC last september.

this is it, but without chrome wheels, same wheels, polished not chrome. oh, I swapped the gold package to the 99, this will be silver.

post-5365-128311446032_thumb.jpg

also . reason I mention it here is because of the tires, they are Yokohoma AVID TOURING-S they are new, but I dont know anything about them, I have always run Michelin Symmetry (even tho I get ragged out by the forum mrgs, becaues they are not high speed tires). are these good tires, they are quite and smooth now. looking for comments...

I just bought a set of those tires for the Prius and am VERY impressed with them, very quiet and smooth. I wouldn't put them on an LS because of the speed rating, but other than that...

What are you going to ask for that '97?

I just bought a set of those tires for the Prius and am VERY impressed with them, very quiet and smooth. I wouldn't put them on an LS because of the speed rating, but other than that...

What are you going to ask for that '97?

list at 5000 and settle for 4500

it has 250k,(almost) but EVERYTHING works properly, no leaks.

here it is without the gold..

post-5365-128318715633_thumb.jpg

Beautiful car, Mr. Powell. Congrats on finding another in one of my favorite colors! I'm sure with your expertise, you'll figure out what the issue is with the tilt.

Micah

well, I have one that is working and one that dosent, so maybe comparing them I can figure it out.

Boy I'd be tempted to buy that...

As for the wheel, my guess is the gear mechanism is obstructed, the gear for the telescope works, but the gear for the tilt has something stuck in one of the gear teeth.

My Dad's '04 has the same issue, only it has begun tilting but not telescoping. My Mom is in the process of trying to decide what car to keep, it or her FX35 and thats one of the things we need to sort out before she decides...

Boy I'd be tempted to buy that...

As for the wheel, my guess is the gear mechanism is obstructed, the gear for the telescope works, but the gear for the tilt has something stuck in one of the gear teeth.

My Dad's '04 has the same issue, only it has begun tilting but not telescoping. My Mom is in the process of trying to decide what car to keep, it or her FX35 and thats one of the things we need to sort out before she decides...

STEVE: on club lexus I cant post anymore.

I changed emails from billydpowell@verizon.net to billydpowell@hotmail.com.

and now it wont lot me post.... all that "you may not" stuff, can you help me out?

I cant even pm, because it picked up the old verizon email, and it is dead.

good luck

Hi Billy. My '99 has/had a similar problem. Every now and then, the tilt motor gets noisy, and it will not go down, unless you put weight on the wheel to help it down, but it would always go up okay, although still noisy. It would move maybe an eighth of an inch, or less, each time I operated the switch. It was the same when putting the key in, as well. I found that if I cycle it up and down a number of times, with help, it would go quiet and work fine. I think it's inside the motor, possibly brushes/commutator needing a clean, but I have no inclination to dismantle the motor, if I can get away with leaving it as is! So, I wonder if yours might be similar. If so, and it's not attempting to move at all, maybe you can turn the worm gear on the motor, while pressing the switch, and pulling the steering wheel downwards. Nothing to lose by trying! Good luck with it :) Cheers.

Hi Billy. My '99 has/had a similar problem. Every now and then, the tilt motor gets noisy, and it will not go down, unless you put weight on the wheel to help it down, but it would always go up okay, although still noisy. It would move maybe an eighth of an inch, or less, each time I operated the switch. It was the same when putting the key in, as well. I found that if I cycle it up and down a number of times, with help, it would go quiet and work fine. I think it's inside the motor, possibly brushes/commutator needing a clean, but I have no inclination to dismantle the motor, if I can get away with leaving it as is! So, I wonder if yours might be similar. If so, and it's not attempting to move at all, maybe you can turn the worm gear on the motor, while pressing the switch, and pulling the steering wheel downwards. Nothing to lose by trying! Good luck with it :) Cheers.

I'll try.

here is a upgrade, put my chrome wheels with gold trim on.

post-5365-128328027154_thumb.jpg

and now it wont lot me post.... all that "you may not" stuff, can you help me out?

good luck

Hey Billy,

I got your PM as well. Unfortunately I don't have any affiliation with ClubLexus, in fact I'm not even a member over there so theres nothing I can do to help ya...

DaveGS4, CL's admin is a member here but never posts...you can try PMing him here and see if he gets it.

good luck

Hey Billy,

I got your PM as well. Unfortunately I don't have any affiliation with ClubLexus, in fact I'm not even a member over there so theres nothing I can do to help ya...

DaveGS4, CL's admin is a member here but never posts...you can try PMing him here and see if he gets it.

thanks Steve, I called them and they fixed it.

also I sold my 97 today, 9/7