Used Keys

yoyoyojo

I've noticed people selling used Lexus keys on ebay. These keys are in fact used, were originally for another RX300 and are already cut. So my question is can I use one of these used keys to work on my Lexus?

Now I've also found, on this board, mention of streetkeys.com. They sell new genric or branded Lexus keys that are not cut. The generic key is $25 and the cutting and programming is $60. Not too bad actually and may just be worth it. But if another key, as mentioned above, can work with my Lexus why can't a pace liek streetkeys just precut it?

Of course for both above options I want to be able to use my current master key.

Thanks for your help.

I have purchased an uncut RX300 key off of ebay & had it cut for about $25.00. I programmed it myself & it works great. I don't know how they did it, but it was a new, uncut key, but the remote area didn't look brand new. Maybe it was. But it is a Lexus branded remote. I think I paid $80.00 for the key. If you would like the e-mail address of they guy I got it from, I can send it to you....he might have another or be able to get another.

I've got a question . . . When I hear "program" used in conjunction with these used keys that are so numerous on Ebay I assume that the programming applies to the keyless entry buttons on the keys PLUS the chip which allows the key to be used as an ignition key. Am I right about this or does the progamming only apply to the keyless entry aspect?

Thanks in advance.

That is right. I had to program both the chip to allow the key to start the car & the buttons for the keyless entry. It came with instructions to do both. They are a bit crazy, so it took me a few times to get everything down to actually program the key...but it was well worth it. It really does work great.

That is right. I had to program both the chip to allow the key to start the car & the buttons for the keyless entry. It came with instructions to do both. They are a bit crazy, so it took me a few times to get everything down to actually program the key...but it was well worth it. It really does work great.

Hi, I've bought a uncut key from ebay and programming instructions from keylessride and programmed the remote to work on my 2001 RX300. Also, it cost me $25 to cut to fit in the ignition and turn on but it could not start. The guy that cut the key gave me the instructions to programmed the transponder to start the RX, but it did not worked because I don't have a "master key". I only the "valet key". The question is: "How can the cut key work without the master key?" The instructions that I have requires a master key. I only have a valet key. Please let me know if there's a way. Thanks in advance. Stephen.

I just picked up a used RX300 which only has one non-working remote key. I need to have another key, but don't want to pay the absurd price at the dealership. I'm also considering buying one of the used keys on ebay, but have no idea if it will work on my vehicle. Any thoughts on the most cost effective way to get another key?

I contacted http://streetkeys.com/ to ask about their keys for the RX300.

Currently they have either a non-remote generic master or a non-remote lexus bradned master key. the first cost abotu $25 the later about $50. They contract out with reps all over the country and for $60 you can take your car in, provided you have at least one master key, and have them cut and program the new key.

In a couple of month they will offer a master key with remote and sell it for $100 plus $60 for cutting and programming.

You can for go the programing cost of $60 and use their instructions. You will still need to find a lock smith with a sidewinder bit to cut your key first. i have heard this cost up to $25.

So I would say if in fact you can buy a legit uncut key for under $100 on ebay then that is the cheapest way to go provided you have at leastr one master.

If you do not have one master key I have seen services that will come out and reprogram your entire car and give you two or three new keys. all for about the same or a little less (since you get a couple of keys) as it would cost to get one form lexus. I think I saw this server for about $350 I can not recall. This service may or may nto void your warranty since they replace a part inside your car. Your old keys will nto work after this reprogramming.

Hi, I've bought a uncut key from ebay and programming instructions from keylessride and programmed the remote to work on my 2001 RX300. Also, it cost me $25 to cut to fit in the ignition and turn on but it could not start. The guy that cut the key gave me the instructions to programmed the transponder to start the RX, but it did not worked because I don't have a "master key". I only the "valet key". The question is: "How can the cut key work without the master key?" The instructions that I have requires a master key. I only have a valet key. Please let me know if there's a way. Thanks in advance. Stephen.

Stephen, I am in the same boat as you. I bought a used Lexus RX300 and purchased an uncut key from Ebay. I had the key cut and I was able to program the remote to work, but I cannot get the key to start the vehicle.(it simply cranks and cranks and cranks). Where you able to find out if you can program the new cut remote key using the valet key?????

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks for the reply...

I did some investigation into the situation and you are right, YOU MUST HAVE A MASTER KEY TO PROGRAM ANY OTHER KEY.

That doesn't mean you can't program the remote operating function of the key, you just can't program the cranking code via a valet key(the dark grey key)

I was confused because the instructions state to enter the vehicle with a pre-programmed working key. To me the valet key was this because it does everything to the RX except for opening the glovebox.

Anyway, I called Lexus and they are ordering me a computer. I don't think I will have to pay for the computer, just the labor involved. I am hoping for the best.

Thanks again,

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know, you cannot program a key to be the master w/o having another master key on hand. But that doesn't mean it can't be done :-)

unforutnately you CANNOT program additional keys without the master. WHY, ths will keep people like valets from trying to copy a key program to steal it later. its commonsense. so dont give out your master when you valet. i can program any lexus key in less than 25 seconds.