2008 Rx350 Headlight Aiming Dimensions

Hello All

I am looking for the headlight alignment dimensions for the 2008 RX 350 HID head lamps to align them, IE distance between the two bulbs I can get the height easily, but not the width. My Pre-owned Rx350 had a front end collision and Whomever did the work didn't know what they were doing, I am now doing the final things to fix their shoddy work. My headlights look like they are at an angle high on the left lower on the right, Maybe this is correct maybe not?. On level ground the headlamp horizontal line image on my garage door looks crooked like the car is leaning when it's not. I would also like to know if I have to and can turn the projector image as well to level out the line? I would like the measurements though so I can be sure they are aligned proper. I could pull right up to the garage door I guess, but it's nice to have the actual dimensions :) I love this place and appreciate all the help I get and can provide others. Thanks Indi

I just did a headlight retrofit on my Rx400h (same headlights as Rx330/350) and i spent a LOT of time aligning them. Projector to projector they're about 57 inches, so at ANY distance, the "steps" (area of each beam where it appears to change height) should remain at about 57 inches away. Also make sure each beam is angled 90 degrees to the front of the car.

Angle to the ground is your choice.

I made these diagrams real quick, hope they help!

vmzt54.jpg

14cryo5.jpg

igdfsi.jpg

I should also add, there are TWO adjustment screws to control the projector. One is for left and right movement, and the other is for up and down movement. You need BOTH screws to get them aligned on both the horizontal and vertical axis'. When you rotate adj screw "B" the "angle" of the horizontal beam will flatten out as well. The projectors pivot on the two adjustment screws (hinged from the bottom). So if the screws are adjusted improperly, the projector beam will not be level (ie slanted).

See this picture: Adjustment screw "A" is a philips head screw. Rotating it will control the projector up or down. You can gain access to this screw from the top of the engine compartment.

Adjustment screw "B" is actually a little nut, (not sure what size... but i think it's American) which can be rotated to control the left and right movement of the projector. You'll need to remove the wheel well liner to gain access to this little guy.

To "aim" your headlights properly, park maybe 20ft from a wall. decide how high you want the projectors to be, and make a mark on the wall. Then start rotating the adjustment screws so that you get them aligned to that height. Then worry about the left and right placement. Stand behind the car, put your head over the rear tail light (on rear 1/4 panel) and connect the dots between your location and the space between the mirror and the door. THAT'S where the "step" should be. As soon as you get one alighned, get a tape measure and measure ~57 inches from the step. THAT'S where the other headlight's step should be.

t9gpzq.jpg

One warning though... If you turn the adjustment screws WAY beyond their limits, the projector could literally come off of the screws themselves, and not be able to get back on. The symptoms of this are EXTREME variances of how "level" the beam are (ie left side of the beam is WAY lower than the right side) and if the projector(s) seems to "rattle" when touched or going over bumps. IF this happens, you'll need to remove the back round gray cover behind the projector, and PULL the projector back while turning the adjustment screws, in an attempt to "catch" the projector back onto the screw.

2il0t42.jpg

You can also see the link in my signature, "My Rx400h's Headlight Retrofit Project" for more pictures of the headlights and how the beams look when properly aligned.

I hope this helps!! If you're still confused on anything let me know. <_<

This is awesome! Thank you for doing so much work. I still am wondering about the slanting of both lights. If you were to take those lines that have to be even with each other and pointed them downward to the right they are at an angle like if the right tires were both flat. When I align both of them they make one long crooked line like both right tires are flat or I was on an incline to the right I was wondering how to correct that if possible, or if that is normal? Thank you so much.. Indi

This is awesome! Thank you for doing so much work. I still am wondering about the slanting of both lights. If you were to take those lines that have to be even with each other and pointed them downward to the right they are at an angle like if the right tires were both flat. When I align both of them they make one long crooked line like both right tires are flat or I was on an incline to the right I was wondering how to correct that if possible, or if that is normal? Thank you so much.. Indi

Hmmm... that is very odd. Can you take a picture to show "how much" they're slanted?

Is this what you mean by slanted?

6hjek6.jpg

Also, are both beams parallel with each other? Or is only one side slanted and the other OK? If BOTH beams are BOTH slanted to the right, your problem may not be with the headlights, but with the car's frame. You mentioned the car was in an accident... well if the horizontal "frame" that the headlights sit in is slanted, the headlight beams will be as well. Try measuring the height of the car off the ground, measure the front left (from bottom of bumper to ground) and the front right. Also try measuring the height of the headlights themselves to the ground.

2qlu03k.jpg

This is too Awesome!... Yeah the slant is more like the extreme one, Not as bad, but yeah like that. I will measure and see how things sit. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the frame was off. Some things were like someone fixed it in their backyard blindfolded. Good thing I only paid 20k for it with 37k miles It Has GPS and everything So if I have to put a little into it such is life. It looks great now, Just a few things I have to do like this... :) Indi

This is too Awesome!... Yeah the slant is more like the extreme one, Not as bad, but yeah like that. I will measure and see how things sit. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the frame was off. Some things were like someone fixed it in their backyard blindfolded. Good thing I only paid 20k for it with 37k miles It Has GPS and everything So if I have to put a little into it such is life. It looks great now, Just a few things I have to do like this... :) Indi

Sounds good, let me know how things measure up (no pun intended) because it could determine what the issue really is.

Is there any way you could contact the body shop that did the repairs? Or maybe the dealer that sold it to you? If there is indeed frame damage, you may have the right to make the dealer fix it. Just something to think about. <_<

I have no one to take it back to it was an as is deal, but it measures up good. No bends in the main frame, but the front nose top coolant frame is out of position just a little they fit the Hood and Fenders back in to be correct, but the headlight bracket bolt holes pull the lights out of position just a little and a little is a lot when it comes to aiming. One bracket was broken, but there is good news. Thank God Lexus had the foresight to put several self tapper holes in exactly next to where the bracket is so it can be re-bracketed to fit easily. So I will cut all the brackets off the headlights fit the headlights in perfect tape them well into position level and to the body how they should be then fabricate some new brackets drilled to fit and bolt the headlights back in place before removing the tape. Sounds like a lot, but it's fairly simple and I want it to function correctly. I could just replace the broken bracket bore out the holes in the other brackets etc, but this will make for a tighter more perfect fit. I will let you know how it turns out.. :) Thanks! for your help it pointed me in the right direction.. Indi

Got my internet back :) I partially pulled the bumper off as to not to have to entirely remove it. I am not positive if it is a fine threaded screw or a lag screw that goes in there. Is it a fine threaded type bolt, Or a (wood screw) type thread on that bolt? Thanks!.. Nick

You mean for the 3rd and lowest tab for the headlight? The bolts for the lower tabs that hold the headlight to the fender are identical to the bolts at the top, totally interchangeable. <_<

Do you know what you've gotta do to get them aligned properly? Show us some pics!

• 3 months later...

It worked well, Sorry I didn't post any pics yet, But will once I get some. I keep forgetting to do it when I am out and about with my camera... I will get to it eventually.. Thanks for all the help I hope this topic helps others trying to align their headlights... :)