Transmission Problem ?

I bought a 2000 gs300 2 months ago and have a question about the transmission.

Sometimes when slowing for a stop sign and rolling thru (as an example) when getting back on the gas the transmission seems to be searching for the gear it wants , it sometimes takes a second to engage it seems , like its slipping a little. It shifts smoothly in all other situations, and from dead stops its fine , just when you coast to a near stop and get back on the throttle. I am hoping this is something the 5 speed auto does , previous owner had car serviced well by Lexus dealer and car is in new condition 31,000 miles. Thanks for all input

I have exactly the same problem with my '99 GS300, see topic 'sluggish acceleration ...' on Dec 5, '03. I followed the recommendations of replacing the transmission fluid and resetting the ECU, but the problem still exists.

Since the sluggishness/hesitation? only happens when roling at low speeds (over a speed pump for example) and then trying to accelerate, I am starting to suspect the ECU ... is it a software issue?

• 4 weeks later...
I bought a 2000 gs300 2 months ago and have a question about the transmission.

Sometimes when slowing for a stop sign and rolling thru (as an example) when getting back on the gas the transmission seems to be searching for the gear it wants , it sometimes takes a second to engage it seems , like its slipping a little. It shifts smoothly in all other situations, and from dead stops its fine , just when you coast to a near stop and get back on the throttle. I am hoping this is something the 5 speed auto does , previous owner had car serviced well by Lexus dealer  and car is in new condition 31,000 miles.    Thanks for all input

I have a GS300 Blk/Blk and am having the same exact problem. I am taking a mechanics class and will have it look at and driving my the instructor and let you know. :)

Well, I found this and think I might give it a try. If it's available for the 1st gen.  CHECK IT OUT! :D

Hi-

Did the chip help?

:o I just had the 90k service done: changed timing belts, and added underdrive pulley. I also did a water flush and the car has been running so good I forgot about the chip. I will let ya know if I do get it. :D

So which one did it.... the timing belt or the underdrive pulley?

B) I don't know, the belt was well worn. Shoulda been done at 60,000 , but I thought it might have been done by the previous owner. Guess not! I did the underdrive pulley at the same time and did the water flush as soon as I got home from the shop. So all 3 helped. :D

Well, I found this and think I might give it a try. If it's available for the 1st gen.  CHECK IT OUT! :D

Hi-

Did the chip help?

:o I just had the 90k service done: changed timing belts, and added underdrive pulley. I also did a water flush and the car has been running so good I forgot about the chip. I will let ya know if I do get it. :D

How much was all of that work on your lex?

Hi-

Did the chip help?

It was $1000 :o for new water pump, thermostat, coolant, timing belt, cam and crank seals, underdrive pulley. It's a Lexus so you gotta expect a high bill. I do everything myself on all my cars, except for timing belts and internal motor work. Learned my lesson on that a long time ago. :lol:

Hi-

Did the chip help?

It was $1000 :o for new water pump, thermostat, coolant, timing belt, cam and crank seals, underdrive pulley. It's a Lexus so you gotta expect a high bill. I do everything myself on all my cars, except for timing belts and internal motor work. Learned my lesson on that a long time ago. :lol:

Thanks...I am taking a class as we speak on how to do all that fun stuff...best regards

• 2 years later...