Urgent Help About To Buy Non-Certified 2009 Rx350

Hi all,

I trust everyone here is very knowledgable with Lexus. So, I've been going back and forth with a dealer on a 2009 Lexus RX350 that has 21k miles on it - comes with nav and premium package. This will not be CPO (certified preowned). Car was traded in by previous owner (not a lease).

Anyhow, I got a mechanic to take a little look at it and he said that the "rack and pinion" near passangers side is seeping oil and needs to be removed and replaced. He is estimating around $500 to fix. I am thinking this is not a common problem for a 21k mile car from what I've heard. Should I be worried? Could this be a sign of future issues? I appreciate ANY feedback.

Also, is it normal for the ride on this car to be a little bouncy?

Thanks!!

Is the car under factory warranty still? If not ask why the car is not a CPO there must be a service issue, or a accident. To answer your question on the ride I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to and what options the rx350 has. I think that my rx330 that we just got rid of seemed to have a softer ride than my x5 for sure. Bottom line the fact that a car is not a CPO would not worry me but the question why it is not would. If you are buying from a non Lexus dealer or a private party then it would make sense it is not a cpo. Get a service report and a carfax and if they look good then go for it they are great cars. Good luck with it.

I would assume that the 2009 RX350 still has a couple of years to go under its warranty. Anything wrong with the car should be fixed under that warranty. If requested just before expiration of the original warranty, an extended warranty (e.g. Lexus Platinum) could be purchased, which 'lasts' until 100K miles or another three years - thus longer than a CPO would from current date.

A service history of the car must be available, since any work done on it would be through the warranty and a Lexus dealer. It's worth checking it's not a 'lemon', but otherwise things seem in order.

I would have Lexus fix that leak on their dime before taking delivery. i agree with pauljcl, the factory is entact until 50k miles, then you should be able to get the extended warranty.

but it is puzzling that the owner would give the car back after just a year or two...

what did the carfax say?