'94 Es300 Problems

The1

Lately I've been experiencing some problems with my es, when it's night time there appears to be some type of residue on the windshield which looks like fog but it's something that has to be wiped off.(?) My A/C works when it wants to, most times after I drive for awhile it will kick in then turn off after a 30minute ride.(?) Lastly my passenger door won't open from the outside but it will open from the inside.(?) If anybody could help me with these issues I would appreciate it! :)

The A/C problem is probably the AC relay....well known problem with the toyota family.....do a search on AC relay... you can buy it from Toyota, or get a generic one from autoparts houses....or if your inclined, open it and polish the contacts with your ladies emory board...as for the door, that too is an easy one.. the linkage between the outside door handle and the lock mech has come from together, this one takes a bit more work... but its still pretty easy. I will give you a step by step...

1. lower the offending doors window about 3-4 inches

2. disconnect the neg. term of the battery

3. remove the door trim, unplug the connectors on the back of the door

4. remove the door speaker

5. remove the 3 screws holding the inside door handle to the door

6. remove the dust cover from the door

7. remove the screw securing the weather strip to the back of the door

8. remove the weather strip across the top of door

9. remove the three 10 mm bolts that attach the window regulator to the window glass

10. carefully remove the window glass from the door by working the glass up and towards the rear of the car

11. look at the linkage that should be connected to door handle

12. replace the broken piece of plastic with a new one or like I did use a tie wrap (cable tie)

13. make sure the door unlocks from the outside, then reassemble the above.....

It sounds hard, but its easy, just lots of stuff you have to remove.

I will be replacing the window regulator on my 95 soon, and can take some pics of the various things and post them if you like

I have now idea how much the little plastic bit is, but lately little plastic bits have been rediculously expensive for what they are... a plastic spacer for my ranger tranny shift lever was over 140.00 from Ol. Henry....BTW it works just fine without it...LOL, if you have any questions feel free to pm me... or post them here good luck.... its a lot of little detail things... but its not really hard... the only tools you need is a 10mm socket, a phillips head screwdriver and a small flat blade screwdriver, a bit of patience and about an hour .... go for it ...

here is the part no. for the plastic clip 69293-12040.

"fog" may be a leak from one of the heater hoses or the heater core, collecting in the duct system and then vaporizing when the fan is turned on, doing the opposite of defogger. This would probably be an expensive fix.

It's also possible moisture may be rising from the ac evaporator core which might not be draining properly due to a blocked drain tube. This is easy to fix with a blast of air compressor air into the drain under the car.

Once had a car w/ >170K and the windshield at night was so bad it was unsafe to drive. Nothing I did could get that stuff (fine abrasions) off. Had to replace the glass. Prolly caused by old,old wipers.

I agree w/ Capnfred above, door job sounds hard but isn't, and not very greasy either.

LL