Rear Lug Bolt Replacement On Sc400

bmullinax

I need some help on the procedure and special tools for replacing a broken rear lug bolt on an SC400. I haven't been able to find a Lexus shop here that does it and the one in San Antoino wants $240 labor and $35 parts for one bolt. Any help/information would be appreciated.....Bill

umm... lug nuts are the nuts that hold the wheel and tire on the hub. I'm confused why it would cost 240$ labor to put a lug nut on. Unless you are talking about hub replacement. Then that price would seem to be a little more in line. JPI importz has a banner at the top of our forum and might be able to provide you assistance. I think the shop is located in the Dallas area. Not sure though.

If you are talking about the hub - that is a little more labor intensive - a puller of some sort will probably be needed, there is probably a cotter pin of some sort, bearings, not sure what size the nut is - but it will be tight (or should be).

there are some presses meant for doing this and another crude way is to just pound out the old bolt from the hub. when installing a new one that can be bought from parts stores like Napa you just pull the new bolt in with a nut . the bolt is usualy a couple of bucks, and it doesnt take long unless you have to take the hub off.

I usually know mine out with a nice big mallet.

Tip: If you go my route, take a nut that goes onto that bolt and thread it till the top of the nut aligns with the tip of the bolt so you're not hitting just the bolt.

If you repeatedly hit the bolt, and the tip turns into a mushroom shape, it might get stuck.

Dunno if I explained that clearly.